inTank Media Baskets

He did it! He did it! Then...he didn't.

BustytheSnowMaam

BustytheSnowMaam

My striped hermit crab was looking troubled all day yesterday. He is usually sort of lethargic and introspective right before he molts, so I figured this was what he was going to do.

He has worn the same shell for the last 3 years now. He is obviously too big for it, but did not seem interested in any of the big shells I put in the tank. Do you know how hard it is to find large (5-6") shells for large hermits? And he didn't care for any of them.

So, last night, I'm watching him because he's checking out a differnt shell. He wasn't worried about modesty as he did not pull the shell up real close like the other crabs in the tank do. He just got out and plopped himself inside the new shell. He then began walking around in it, checking it out. I was beside myself with excitement (ok, so it really wasn't that thrilling... but it was a big deal to me). Then- he went back to his old shell.

A few minutes later, he went in the new one again. I reached in and plucked the old one out. He was frantic. He started going in and out of every large shell in the tank. My husband told me I was cruel and heartless, so I put the old shell back in the tank. He crawled right up to it and gave a sigh of relief as he moved his body back inside.

And now- he is back to sitting and looking introspective again, flicking away his blue-legged and zebra-striped subjects with his leg as they come over to cheer him up (or eat his poop).

I'm not sure what is sadder- the fact he didn't change shells or the fact that I find hermits so fascinating.

Tasha

Hermits are really funny that way. They are very picky about their shell. Are the new ones the same or similar shape to the older one? They tend to prefer certain types of shells so if you got one a little bigger with the same general size and look he'd be likley to adopt it.

Cameron

I love watching hermits. If you want a real treat, pick up a couple of staghorn hermits. They live inside a little coral that grows with them. The corals are tall and I have seen them with several branches. They are hard to move around in and watching the crabs struggle around is a riot. They are truly a strange species and definitely fun to watch. I videotaped a bunch of hermits on a beach in Indonesia (I was bored and they were fascinating). It cracks me and the wife up whenever we watch it (my commentary is the best part).

Yeah I picked up some shells at an arts and craft store too. There were only a few in the bunch with the round holes that most hermits seem to like in shell openings. I had a bunch of extra pretty shells with long thin openings that I threw in with the assumption that they would just look nice. To my surprise, my biggest hermit passed up nice empty astrea shells for one of the new long/thin opening shells. At first I thought it really odd, but then I realized that it actually allows him to use all of his legs at once a little easier instead of the round hole openings that keep them kind of cramped. It is a relatively light shell too so it is easy to lug around I guess. If you do pick some up at an art supply store, make sure you don't get any that are dyed. I saw several packages with some dyed shells mixed in and avoided them. No telling what it might do to your tank....

Archived