ReefCleaners.org

The Odd Couple: Goby + Pistol shrimp

Tigahboy

Here's a pic of my Hi Fin Banded Goby and its symbiotic pistol shrimp. I'm new to this great hobby, so apologies for the poor picture quality...

I really need to get/borrow a better camera...does anyone know how to avoid having the glare coming from the sand? I can never get a clear picture b/c of all the light reflecting off the substrate. :(

Anyways, the Goby and shrimp were purchased at the same time at my LFS. The LFS guy put the two together in one bag. He told me that they would likely form a relationship and share the same burrow, but it would take a few days.

Fortunately for me, they formed their "bond" immediately. I released the shrimp first, and surprisingly, he hovered around the bag with the Goby inside instead of dashing for cover under a rock.

When I finally released the Goby, the tiny pistol shrimp swam close behind the Goby as it looked for a suitable home. They have lived together ever since...

Definitely the odd couple; but mad cool nonetheless!

Just wanted to share. Peace!Gobynshrimp.jpg

yep. Very cool. I want them too but i like my sugar sized aragonite sand. And someone said they need sand that they can build burrows in. Maybe my sand is okay. I need to find that thread again and read up more.

Good luck with them and lets see a close up.

Yeah i have the same problem with sand glare when trying to take pics of my shrimp and goby! it sucks cuz they are just too cool!

Nice choise BTW....over the next few weeks they are gonna tunnel out the entire bottom of your tank and pop out in some odd places:P

I have aragonite reef sand...the ones you buy in a bag and it's supposed to be "live" sand...I believe it is extra-fine which is 0.5-1 mm.

I don't know much about the sugar sand, but isn't it about the same grain size?

I definitely don't have the ideal "burrow-type" substrate, but my LFS guy said that it wasn't needed. But everyone seems to have different opinions on that issue.

Unless my Goby is silently suffering inside, it seems like he is doing fine in my substrate. My substrate is not super deep so he usually simply makes a burrow directly under a piece of rock. The shrimp is fun to watch cuz he uses his hind legs to kick the sand out of their burrow.

you sand looks to be the same grane as mine...(i think its just regular fine sand, nothing special)

and as long as the rocks are planted on the bottom of the tank and not just on top of the sand you fine dont worry about it.

Archived