ReefCleaners.org

If I Ever Went Back To...

basser1

Markburns43

People say salt is easier then planted, but its really the intial starting of a planted, it takes longer to fix deficiencys and to find out you havena problem. With salt i find that as soon as there's a problem most of the time its shown right then and therr by the animals that live in the aquarium. But I'd say its been cake since I got the tank dialed in just enough co2 and ferts I dose to maintain lush growth and almost zero algae. Also the plants are key to helping you have a pristine aqaurium, hell let the detritus build up its fertilzer for the plants and its the truth. I haven't vacuumed and refuse to, the most water I change is 15 gallons most of the time 10 out of 40 total display. this saltwater hobby is more hands on but with anything there's always something to be done lol. Ill continue to have both types of tanks thrre all great.

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I find setting up a planted tank to be like tuning a new skimmer, you just keep adjusting until it's perfect.

Markburns43

Exactly.. People often take drastic measures because somethings out of line. Especially water parameters. I stopped chasing most of those numbers and havent looked back. You eventually just watch your tank. Which is what you want to do!( Meaning both ways)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't got my SW tank up and running yet. I've kept FW planted tanks for quite awhile though. After you make the right initial investments i.e. lights, CO2, ferts, get everything dialed in, do your weekly WC it's cake. I don't check anything with test kits anymore. I usually end up tearing down and rescaping once a year and I still never check any params. I recently decided to check them for some reason - curiosity I believe - and realized all of my test kits were 2 years expired. My fish are healthy - for the most part - and I have lush carpets of plants. SW has me a lil apprehensive about fiddling with test kits again :unsure:. I'm hoping it all works out like FW tanks. Get it dialed in and let it ride. Do WCs and feed the livestock.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Love the look of that tank. I have typically had fresh & salt water together for so many years and I do feel a Salt tank with LR and proper equip/ or regular water changes is much easier to keep consistent parameters in opposition to a FW tank. I can never keep consistent parameters in the FW if it isn't one thing it's another. I will say though getting a FW tank back in order is far easier than battling a case of cyano!

One thing I've heard about planted tanks is you can't expect to set up the "perfect" tank. You have to let the plants grow into it.

And yeah, I'd love to put a FW planted tank together.

Had some minor luck (with the plants) a few times in the past.

Archived