Cultivated Reef

3g Eclipse pics

3gEclipseGuy

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I bet his tank crashed. That thing was crazy stocked, and anemones can take some time to starve to death. I have read that sun corals are not well-suited to aquariums either except in the best of conditions since they do not derive enery from light like many corals. They also can take a long time to die.

What's up the tank? We are all anxious to see if you continue to defy the skeptics like me.

Cartoonman, quit hating. This guy proved you haters wrong! The rbta was growing like a weed, not starving. Maybe he got tired of listening to assclowns like you and went to another board.B)

I didn't mean to sound like a hater, but I am skeptical, realistic, and well-read. The "experts" (Fenner, Bornemann, Calfo, etc.) all agree that anemones don't *generally* do well in aquariums. That is, 99% of anemones, including many of those commonly sold, are doomed. Since in the wild they live many decades, I would not call 3 months a successful trial run, and they often starve (without obvious signs) for 6 months to a year before dying all of sudden with the aquarist wondering what the hell happened. On the flip side, RBTAs are amoung the most amenable anemones for aquaria, and it would be one of the few that I would recommend trying.

Also, didn't he have a sun coral in that tank? That is a very difficult coral that suffers much like anemones do. They are very picky, and their diet must be soley based on non-light sources.

In any case, I hope we can have an update. One more datapoint on this debate would be useful.

By pointing out to newbies what the "experts" deem grave mistakes and poor hubandry, I would not consider us "haters" or "assclowns". It is our responsibilities to be critical (without using words like assclown) of potential errors in husbandry. That is how we learn and mature as aquarists, and this is the point of these boards.

By crossing the lines and attempting new things is the way thing advance. Those so called experts would have cringed at the thought of a nano reef just a few years ago. Some of them still do. Advances in technology and brave innovative ideas is what allows us to improve our reef keeping abilities. If we always followed what the "experts" said this hooby would be dead. By the way, how many people have kept a fish for their full natural life time? Every fish and piece of livestock sold to a hobbyist is doomed. We just don't like to admit it.

I agree that this hobby is advanced by trying new things and pushing the limits, but it must be done responsibly. A new hobbiest should *not* be encouraged to do so in the first 3 months. That is irresponsible. These forums have many cases of innovations, but there are far too many newbies that take bad advice and end up tearing down their tanks because they did not act responsibly.

Do you really think that Bornemann, Calfo, and Fenner are that behind the times? They have devoted their professional lives to the hobby.

I'm banking on a tank crash also....

Triggeraa- In absoloutley no way did he/she prove anything wrong... 3 months? It means nothing.

For all we know, the RBTA could have been "expanding", not growing. Expanding is a way of creating greater surface area in an attempt to get more light.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived