Cultivated Reef

Removing dead fish in a hard to reach place

nmojahed

I have a Nuvo 16 gal tank and I have a dead fish in the rear filtration chamber. It's in the back corner on the bottom in a REALLY hard to reach spot. I bought the poor guy last week and I kept thinking he was hiding under my rocks but he was probably in the back the whole time. Any suggestions on what to use? A metal coat hanger would be great but I'm afraid it'll leech chemicals into the water. Thanks!

Sorry dude, I've had that happen before with a jawfish... Unfortunately I had to use a knife and some tongs to get it out.

Dude he's alive and he keeps swimming corner to corner when I try to get him and the back of the tank is so small that I can't trap him with a net

Do you have a small cup or a jar, and something you can use to get him to swim to an easier to reach spot?

Not that would fit back there

Get some bigger rubber tubing and siphon it out. What kind of fish is it?

It's a small yellow watchman goby. Now it's underneath the return pump mount fml lol

It's a small yellow watchman goby. Now it's underneath the return pump mount fml lol

Ow easy peasy get a bucket and some rubber tubing. I did this a few times once was a watchman

Garden hose and suck. Lol

I tried pump air through some rubber hosing to scare it into my net but it's smart enough not to go into the net lol

Some rubber tubing with a siphon will suck it right out.

I tried pump air through some rubber hosing to scare it into my net but it's smart enough not to go into the net lol

Siphon it out and thank me later

I like the tubing idea... Doesn't even have to be larger than the fish, if it's smaller the fish will still get stuck to the tubing.

Some rubber tubing with a siphon will suck it right out. Siphon it out and thank me later

Lol you freakin genius. It worked like a charm....of course right before I got water in my mouth, in my nose and in my face haha but it was worth it. Thanks man!! I've only had him a week and that's the first time I have seen him since then. I need to feed him asap lol

Lol you freakin genius. It worked like a charm....of course right before I got water in my mouth, in my nose and in my face haha but it was worth it. Thanks man!! I've only had him a week and that's the first time I have seen him since then. I need to feed him asap lol

:happydance:
  • 2 weeks later...
jamescstein

At least you didn't get a gobie in your mouth as well.

Archived