Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ushio v Catalina 70w mh

d3lusions

What do you guys think? Is the Ushio bulb worth the $70 that it costs v. the Catalina @ $25? I know Kracker G is using the Catlaina bulb w/o any problems, but does anyone else have experience? Any PAR readings to justify the almost 2.5x increase in price for the Ushio?

thanks.

I've used two of the catalina 70 watters. The first one crapped out on me (but I later learned that it was due to a faulty ballast connection, however, in frustration, I broke the bulb on accident).

My second experience with the Catalina 70 watter is going underway currently. I've had one running for almost a month, no problems. It seems like PSL tested the bulb before I bought it, since it had a little burned in ring (I guess this means that they are testing for duds before they sell em.)

So, it's up to you. I still think buying Catalina products is risky.

PAR wise, I haven't a clue.

thats why you buy 4 at a time! :) at that price, sheesh...it doesnt matter. but actually, I did have one fail. My 20" CSL hood has been running since last December and I still got 2 spare bulbs.

Carl_in_Florida

I am running it on my new system to be unveiled soon.

This is my first MH but it seems really yellow. I am going to have to supplement with serious actinic. I understand that the AQ bulb is blu enough that you do not need blue bulbs run with it. So I saved on the bulb but in the end it will cost more.

But it is a great excuse to run an extra 63 watts of light!

Carl

ReeferMonkey

There's a group buy underway for Aqualine "20,000K" (aka Aqua) 70w MH bulbs. Check the classified section for the post and more details. Normal retail is $85 - $90, we're getting them for $63 + S/H.

Archived