Cultivated Reef

Led mo's, get in here.

RayWhisperer

jedimasterben

One last question for today.

If I run 2 of the vero's at, say, half power, can I use 1 700ma driver for both? if so, how does one accomplish this? Is it just a matter of wiring both to one driver and the power is directed to both chips at half of the set power?

This is not the best picture of this concept, but you can see the Bridgelux Veros in the middle are wired in parallel. On one of them, the negative from the driver is connected to the Molex connector, then the solder pads of both are connected (so negative to negative and positive to positive), and then on the second Vero the Molex connector is connected to the positive of the driver.

20150403_223224.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RayWhisperer

Ok, thanks guys.

Ben, I see what you did. Being able to see is better for me. ( I'm a poet and didn't even know it.)

Now, I'm sure I'm annoying you all with these stoopid questions. Can I still just use the pads for this? I figure it's fine, just making sure so I don't detonate something. I'd just have positive to positive and negative to negative between the 2 chips. Then I'd solder another positive lead on one chip for the driver. Then do the same, but negative, on the other chip.

Just look at the bright side of me asking these questions. You can all make fun of a former mod for being so dumb, and I can't even ban you for it.

Nothing wrong with asking questions. Better to annoy dinner folk than to blow your chips or drivers up. And trust me when ldd drivers fail, they fail in the most spectacular ways possible.

jedimasterben

Ok, thanks guys.

Ben, I see what you did. Being able to see is better for me. ( I'm a poet and didn't even know it.)

Now, I'm sure I'm annoying you all with these stoopid questions. Can I still just use the pads for this? I figure it's fine, just making sure so I don't detonate something. I'd just have positive to positive and negative to negative between the 2 chips. Then I'd solder another positive lead on one chip for the driver. Then do the same, but negative, on the other chip.

Just look at the bright side of me asking these questions. You can all make fun of a former mod for being so dumb, and I can't even ban you for it.

:lol:

Yes, you can use the pads for everything - I just used the Molex connectors because I had them and it made things a bit neater with this particular heatsink.

Nothing wrong with asking questions. Better to annoy dinner folk than to blow your chips or drivers up. And trust me when ldd drivers fail, they fail in the most spectacular ways possible.

Oh god yes. It's almost worth destroying an LDD just to see how much smoke they pack into one.

• 6 months later...

Time to revive the dead... Thread, that is.

I'm finally getting back in gear on this build. So, more questions...

Ok, I was wrong on the drivers, they are 1000, not 700. I don't foresee a problem with that. I do have 2 300 drivers. One I plan on using for the moonlight. That leads into my initial question. I do need a seperate driver for the moonlight, right? I mean, it's only one led. I can't see this blue fishy somehow only applying power to one chip in a string of them.

Next question. I'm realizing I'm not going to be able to stuff all these wires through the gooseneck. At least, not the wires I have. I have some 24 guage. I have a ton of 22 guage. However, I have nothing thinner than 24. I'm sure the 24 would've fine for all of the LEDs, but I won't be able to fit it all. So, what guage wire do I need and where do I get it?

Last question for now. What do I hook the fan up to? Do I wire it in with one of the chips?

jedimasterben

The Bluefish only sends a control signal to the driver, it never sees how many LEDs are anywhere or anything like that, so it is output only. The LDD Can power a single LED, so that is no problem.

How long of a wire run will you have? Will it be less than 10-12'? And you are running only one Vero from each driver? And your power supply is 48v? If you meet all of those criteria, then you can use even 28AWG wire without a problem.

Fans have to have their own separate 9v or 12v power. There are converters that are similar to LDD that do constant voltage like the fans need, a few places sell them, but they aren't drop-in replacements on an LDD board. O2Surplus on NR makes a special board that houses six LDD, two of the SCW converters, and the Bluefish Mini attaches directly to it.

Damnit! I ####ing hate you, Ben! Now how much are you going to make me spend for this fan thingy?

Yes, I meet all those criteria. I was figuring I'd keep the vero's on 22 or 24. I figured I'd want to supply them with as much as possible. Would I be able to run the colors on that thin a wire? No, they are in series, not individually driven, if you were going to ask that.

jedimasterben

Damnit! I ####### hate you, Ben! Now how much are you going to make me spend for this fan thingy?

Yes, I meet all those criteria. I was figuring I'd keep the vero's on 22 or 24. I figured I'd want to supply them with as much as possible. Would I be able to run the colors on that thin a wire? No, they are in series, not individually driven, if you were going to ask that.

The wire gauge doesn't really matter too much. The key is to not overload the wire with heat, and at the low DC currents we use it definitely won't do that. Using thicker won't give the LEDs more power, it just lessens the voltage drop. When you have long wire runs, at the beginning of the wire you'll be giving the full 48v, but as you go down the line the voltage becomes slightly less. With 28AWG, after 12 feet you will have lost 1.56v, so instead of 48v, the 46.44v. The LDD will still give the full voltage and amperage to the Vero, and it will also push the extra 1.56v that the wire will use, so the LED will still be just as strong as before.

The colors can be run in series, yes. The Vero are the only ones that can't be, since they have such high voltage.

Ok, that's good to know. Now I just need to find some 28 ga. I was hoping to source it locally so I could finish this stupid light already. However, since you are making me order this stupid fan thingy setup, I may as well order some wire, too.

jedimasterben

Ok, that's good to know. Now I just need to find some 28 ga. I was hoping to source it locally so I could finish this stupid light already. However, since you are making me order this stupid fan thingy setup, I may as well order some wire, too.

You can also use a multiconductor cable. It will be a single cable sleeve that has a bunch of individually sleeved wires inside it. How many drivers will you be running in total? I can link you to a multi cable that would work for what you need.

9 total drivers.

While you are at it, link me the fan shit, too. I can't find no o2surplus on NR. I found it on the planted tank forum, but doesn't look like a sponsor. All google gives me with that search is oxygen toxicity crap. Like I give a #### about someone's oxygen toxicity....

You can also use a multiconductor cable. It will be a single cable sleeve that has a bunch of individually sleeved wires inside it. How many drivers will you be running in total? I can link you to a multi cable that would work for what you need.

I was actually getting ready to start a new thread about multi cable, I need something with 10-12 conductors and was wondering what people are using.

Archived