Cultivated Reef

Additives? Buffers? Planktonic Food?

Chromis

Additives? Buffers? Planktonic Food?

Who uses what and why? Just wondering what all I will need in for my future 28 gallon in the additive department.

i recently started using dt's phytoplankton (www.dtplankton.com .. site seems to be down right now) and feeding live brine shrimp nauplii (enriched with the dt's phytoplankton) to my corals... it's too early to tell for sure, but i think i am noticing some positive effects in the whole reef from feeding these. i don't add any other supplements, but i do regular partial water changes and i don't use a skimmer.

b-ionic is a good additive that takes care of the first two. as for planktonic/microscopic foods there are many suggestions, dt's probably the most popular. good luck with the 29g! ;)

I have been using dt's phyto off and on, coral heaven from ipsf (not recently tho) and black powder. I also add iodine, calcium and strontium once a week. I also have spectral vital for curing rock but, since I received it after I had my tank set up, I haven't added any. I was using coral accel but stopped and I stopped adding trace elements and started keeping up with my water changes.

Most additives aren't needed as long as you do a 10% water change a week.

printerdown01

I know, I set out to create a tank w/o using test kits or additives... But there was some stuff I just couldn't pass up: Reef Complete and DT's Phyto... Just started using DT's two days ago @ 25% of the recommended dose. Didn't really need the stuff but for $10 I had to see what everyone was raving about...

I only dose C-balance (calcium and Alk) and nothing else. I also use small amounts of Kent Microvert.

I am looking for a good phyto such as DT's but over here in the UK cant seem to find a source. I am on the look out for a substitute and will begin to add that every few days.

seems like you ought to be able to mailorder it... i know there are some websites online you can get it from, but i don't know if they ship overseas. the problem is that you don't want the stuff heating up to much during transit ...

Leave old waterchange water (stuff you took out of tank) outside in a clear jug for a day or two and you got DT's. Or so i've been told. Works well for me. I'm going to start hatching brineshrimp for my gorgonia though.

Archived