ReefCleaners.org

New mushrooms

umax5555

I picked up a couple of mushrooms this weekend. One is in the front of the tank but the other one decided to go to the back and attach to a rock. I would really like to be able to see it but I've always been told that they find there own spot and attach. Do I just leave him alone and not worry about him?

It's been my experience that mushrooms just go where they want and there isn't much you can do about it! One of my favorites is currently residing deep inside a crevasse of a large rock and can only be seen by looking down into the tank from the top.

A good way to corral these critters is to cut the bottom of a water or Coke bottle off pretty short, cut some holes in the side for water flow, but not big enough for the shroom to get through. Set the mushroom on some rubble/gravel on the sandbed and put the clear bottle bottom over the shroom and weigh it down with another piece of rubble. It will attach to the rubble and in a couple weeks you can pick it up and glue down the rubble to your rock.

Look hard and you can see the shroom under this corral:

Untitled-L.jpg

It will attach to the rubble and in a couple weeks you can pick it up and glue down the rubble to your rock.

And after all that.. if it wants to, it will move.

This method worked beautifully and my mushrooms have never moved. They must like it where I stuck them.

It was recommended by another reefer here because my first shroom was unattached and blew around the tank like flake food....after this...voila! He stayed put.

Archived