inTank Media Baskets

My first attempt 20 gallon :)

Reefin Ric Flair

Reefin Ric Flair

My latest and very likely final scape for a long time

20150224_183223.jpg

First scape here. Pretty simple structure and nothing mind blowing but hopefully you find it to be decent. 20 lbs of primo cherry deco live rock in 20 gallon tall tank. As of now I'm going to get one large rock for the center, top of pile to give the structure more room for corals in the future and so it is a little over half as tall of the tank height to fill in that dead space at that height. Any suggestions? Take it easy on me! This is my first foray into the hobby and I'm less than 24 hours into it

20150220_180232.jpg

20150220_180222.jpg

Reefin Ric Flair

That rock looks FULL of life, any cool hitch-hikers you have been anble to identify yet?

There is a bivalve opening and closing so far. It's been in there 24 hours so hopefully more surprises come out

Reefin Ric Flair

Wow you have really LIVE rock lol cool though

That was the plan :) live rock n reef advertises 20 years of growth and it had to be flown the same day to my airport for pickup. I really dug the deep oranges and purples when I was researching

Cencalfishguy56

That was the plan :) live rock n reef advertises 20 years of growth and it had to be flown the same day to my airport for pickup. I really dug the deep oranges and purples when I was researching

Wow man well great job I love how really natural looking it is, reminds me of the pacific ocean monterey area lol idk why maybe if you added kelp it would be spot on but I'm jealous now haha

I found some bivalves attacked to some sand dollars believe it or not last time I was at the coast found a ton of sand dollars to be honest some even alive and moving

Attached

Reefin Ric Flair

Wow man well great job I love how really natural looking it is, reminds me of the pacific ocean monterey area lol idk why maybe if you added kelp it would be spot on but I'm jealous now haha

That's really awesome to hear. I'm so green and new to the hobby that positive feedback feels extremely good and validates all the research and planning. I couldn't have done any of this without Nano Fever on the forum. I know him in real life and he guided me nonstop and even gave me the tank

Cencalfishguy56

That's really awesome to hear. I'm so green and new to the hobby that positive feedback feels extremely good and validates all the research and planning. I couldn't have done any of this without Nano Fever on the forum. I know him in real life and he guided me nonstop and even gave me the tank

Wow awesome! I'm a newbie as well I just started about 5 months ago have had a lot of trial and error almost restarted a few times but patience is key and I've learned that I have also had a lot of help with the guy at my LFS, it's great having somebody help guide you and awesome that you know someone on this forum! Lol wish I did

NorthGaHillbilly

There is a bivalve opening and closing so far. It's been in there 24 hours so hopefully more surprises come out

Awesome, it looks like youll end up with some great diversity. sneak up at night and youll probably see some stuff moving around.

You might want to take a hammer and break up that rock some, itll give you the ability to play with your scape some, take it alittle vertical with the height of the 20h

NorthGaHillbilly

Totally agree. I need more height in the center for sure

Keep depth, front to back, in mind too, having some of the lower rock up close to the front of the glass, with the taller portion closer to the rear glass will give you a really interesting look. Check out the aquascape forum, they have put together alot fo good inspiration there

I agree. Maybe some height on one side. Smaller rocks in front and large on back. Put your focal point a bit off center. There's some neat tutorials online on aquascaping that might be worth checking out.

Reefin Ric Flair

Times are a changing.

Here is the latest scape. I epoxy'd a branch rock to the rock on the right to give some height over there. I'll be checking out my LFS tomorrow after they get in 800 lbs of live rock. I'm looking for a long piece that will sit atop the two piles. Then I would like to epoxy a short, somewhat thin branch piece to the piece connecting the piles. Yay? Nay?

20150222_180420.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Reefin Ric Flair

thats better than your first attempt. if it were me i would do two islands and not connect them.

Thanks for the feedback, chief. I was trying to add another rock to get more real estate for corals at that height.

• 2 weeks later...
Martin in China

My latest scape

20150322_203308.jpg

This in only 4 weeks time...wow...I hope my first nano reef will turn out like this too.

• 2 weeks later...
Reefin Ric Flair

This in only 4 weeks time...wow...I hope my first nano reef will turn out like this too.

Thanks dude! I had a lot of help with planning and coral choices

Martin in China

Thanks dude! I had a lot of help with planning and coral choices

Great to have help nearby...no help here, can't trust the shops here and I don't speak Chinese, so I will heavily relay on you guys.

Archived