Coral Vue Hydros

LED moonlight question...

rklutts

I have this actinic blue led I got in one of those little mini keychain flashlights. The battery has since died but I still have the led. What kind of watt/volts do I need to fire this bugger up. I have 2 PC fans running on 9v unit and was wondering if I could run it with that. I also have a 7v unit too.

This will make the tank really stand out at night.

Rob

bravoreefer

What was the voltage of the battery the powered the LED? I just ordered some LED Cannons from PCToys.com, and i know those lil fellows take 12Volts to power. To power just that you, you need to figure out what input volage you are going to give it, then what the LED requires, and also you will need a resiter in there too. The General idea I can tell you, but having the memorized fromulas for those calcs; no.

Good luck and post some pics,

Bravo

Qfour20 on the chat room sent me to this site:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/B..._Bowden/led.htm

It has a calculator for finding the resistor you need to run the LED on your type/amount of volts

I have one LED/Blue that is 3.5v, LED current/mA (?), on a 9V

If I go with 10mA it's a 560 Ohms

If I go with 20mA it's a 270 Ohms

Now to figure out if I use 10 or 20mA's so I can get a resistor. How do I find this out???

Blue LED's are typically rated at 20mA. 10mA will not be as bright. Anythiggn over 20mA will shorten it's life.

That is a great website.

Dale

Archived