Cultivated Reef

DS's Jebo R338 9G (RETIRED)

DurocShark

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks.

I've always been a planted tank geek, so it's only appropriate to do the same with my reef. ;)

For some reason, the calcifying green macros didn't make it. They melted and never came back. The red ones melted and came right back. And you can't kill caulerpa. ;)

The scroll algae is interesting. I really like the growth pattern, but it's growing so fast I'm already planning my pruning. :o

Markburns43

Im digging the dropcam thats awsomee

I would like to aquire some diffetent macros ad well and debated turning my planted tank into a macro tank and i keep tinkering with that idea. You still have a planted?

FW planted? No. Though I'm going to do a pico planted for my office at work. There are sellers on ebay that do collections of macros. That's where I got all mine. Cost more than people on forums sending clippings, but you get to see what different macros do best in your tank quick and easy.

I pop that Dropcam into public mode every so often. My mother in law likes to watch the tank. ;) When it's public, it's here: http://dropc.am/p/DurocShark

Got my order from SWF today. My main reason for ordering was to get a candy cane pistol shrimp. Then I added a bunch of things to get over $100 for free overnight shipping (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!)

Unfortunately, the pistol, the ENTIRE reason for the order, didn't make it. The cleaner did, though.

eDprfnn.jpg

That poor cleaner shrimp is in hiding mode for now. I can't coax him out of the corner.

Ct7aij0.jpg

I didn't realize it wasn't WYSIWYG when I ordered my acro. Instead of blue/blue I got orange/green. Still attractive. And polyps are starting to extend just a couple hours after being placed in the tank.

XexNAWq.jpg

I got a pagoda cup too. This is just an interesting looking coral. It's definitely not happy yet.

7lGEvy3.jpg

I got a clam too, but he immediately buried himself as soon as I put him in the tank. So no pic. But here's a new FTS:

r88kGR4.jpg

Got my order from SWF today. My main reason for ordering was to get a candy cane pistol shrimp. Then I added a bunch of things to get over $100 for free overnight shipping (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!)

Unfortunately, the pistol, the ENTIRE reason for the order, didn't make it. The cleaner did, though.

eDprfnn.jpg

That poor cleaner shrimp is in hiding mode for now. I can't coax him out of the corner.

Ct7aij0.jpg

I didn't realize it wasn't WYSIWYG when I ordered my acro. Instead of blue/blue I got orange/green. Still attractive. And polyps are starting to extend just a couple hours after being placed in the tank.

XexNAWq.jpg

I got a pagoda cup too. This is just an interesting looking coral. It's definitely not happy yet.

7lGEvy3.jpg

I got a clam too, but he immediately buried himself as soon as I put him in the tank. So no pic. But here's a new FTS:

r88kGR4.jpg

Great looking Nano! What is the brown-ish looking piece right behind the acro?

That's a "blue scroll" macro algae. It's only blue when the light reflects at just the right angle. :unsure:

The stuff grows like a weed. I love it, but I have to keep cropping it back.

Huh. Found a pipe organ polyp growing far away from my pipe organ. Hmm... Someone decided to go exploring!

It landed in one of the two remaining nuisance algae patches, under a rock. Go figure.

Crappy picture. Couldn't get my One M8 to focus where I wanted it to:

Ft9ooHZ.jpg

New FTS set after a remodel and harvesting of macro. Some of the corals are still pissed at me. The full tank with dresser shot makes my reef look ridiculously tiny.

SGb3NKw.jpg

RT side:

6GMGgKS.jpg

LT side:

0YcgHYg.jpg

Yes, I still have some nuisance algae to deal with. When I remove it, the stuff doesn't seem to come back. So I do a little at a time.

Getting some outstanding growth out of that monti. Since the last moving of the pagoda cup it hasn't reopened. Sigh.

Thought I'd do an ID chart.

IKCIq2H.jpg

1.Candy Coral
2.Orange Monti
3.Pagoda Cup
4.Hammer
5.Pulsing Xenia
6.Green Star Polyp
7.Grumpy the Goby
8.Red Grape Macro Algae
9.Caulerpa sp.
10.Pajama Cardinals
11.Neon Green Zoas
12.Pipe Organ
13."Blue" Scroll Macro Algae
14.Asshole #1. Asshole #2 hides during the day.
15.Orange and Green Acropora
16.More Green Star Polyp
17.Red Macro Algae (dunno what species)
18.Blue-Green Duncan\

I did this with a screen grab from my DropCam. So sorry for potato.

Saturday I'm going after the last bastion of GHA in my tank. I've done the mechanical removal and watched my hermit crabs munch, but nothing is making it better. So I'm going to peroxide dip that half of the rock.

0qUQATo.jpg

It looks white in the pic, but it's not. It's green. It came in on that zoa rock. Grrr...

I've been holding off because the candy is glued on, and the monti has attached itself pretty darn well. So I'm going to dip only the half with the algae and see if that weakens it enough to be susceptible to brushing and CUC.

Before dip FTS:

eLNtLrW.jpg

I did the dip. That entire rock came out of the tank, less the candy corals that I was able to break off. The monti wasn't letting go, unfortunately. So it got dipped too.

Asshole #2, the stupid blue hermit crab, wouldn't let go of the rock. But he sure came loose once dunked into the 2:1 tank water : peroxide bowl. I was able to grab him before any permanent damage occurred. When I tossed him back in the tank, he shook himself for a minute, then ran off.

I took advantage of the disruption to the tank to do some rearranging. The acro got placed up top, the duncan was placed on a lower rock. The cup was rotated away from the pipe organ (the pipe organ was irritating the cup's polyps). The big rock ended up rotated a bit so the orange monti is not only dipped, but not fully in the light. I think that is gonna be a crap shoot whether it makes it or not.

It was kinda sad seeing how much died off when I dipped that piece. I had a ton of pod and bristle worm corpses floating on the bowl. :(

So it's been, what, an hour and a half since I put the zoas back after their dip. They're already starting to open. Hmmm... I wonder if I should have dipped them longer...

XiwNUAz.jpg

Got a shipment from another reefer here today.

**NOTE** This is in no way the seller's fault! Read below.

I have stuff shipped to my work. Not only does it often get there a day earlier than my home, I can guarantee someone will be there to receive it, and it won't sit outside in the sun, heat, or cold.

So I found this on my desk this afternoon:

oDfiXvH.jpg

y6vKHJo.jpg

The box was crushed. The cardboard was damp. The USPS helpfully put it in a bag with "WE CARE" on it. If you cared, you wouldn't have smashed my !@#%##@%$ package!

The seller had triple bagged the corals and padded with newspaper. I don't think he could have done any better. It was a nice job. But it couldn't survive being crushed like this. The bags were burst and dry. But the newspaper was damp, so I went ahead and opened it up and took a sniff. Didn't smell ripe, so I quickly opened them all the way and tossed the corals in the tank.

I'm not holding out any hope for the kenya tree. It was driest.

QbwviPG.jpg

Montis can be tough, so I'm hoping. Of course I won't know until it starts bleaching.

SEqDpc4.jpg

So totally not the seller's fault. USPS can sometimes really suck. I still prefer them over UPS or FedEx, but every once in a while you get this crap.

Sigh.

DurocShark

Playing with a new macro lens.

wnqQy3m.jpg

hNYAIEp.jpg

5PQbuzc.jpg

I posted them in the photography forum, but the actually belong here. :)

Archived