SaltCritters.com

Vidarock will not stop growing nasty brown hair algae

William

My vidarock will not stop growing this really nasty brown hair algae, the regular reef saver rock I have in the tank is clean but the vida is just covered in it. Anyone else have this problem?

My vidarock will not stop growing this really nasty brown hair algae, the regular reef saver rock I have in the tank is clean but the vida is just covered in it. Anyone else have this problem?

I did with there big frag plugs. I tossed them in the garbage.

I had algae outbreak in both my tanks with vidarock at the 5-6 months mark. I wonder if it absorbs phosphate during the beginning months and then release it back. But since I fought off the algae outbreak, things been good. I still have algae but easily controllable.

I didn't mind it when i let my tank go to hell, but i thought my p04 issue was the sand that i got rid of...... but i may have been wrong. I may just have to be more agressive with my Lantham, and feric oxide routine.

I use vidarock and have never had that issue. I have been using 1 large centerpiece for over 2 years now and have not had any issues specific to that rock. It doesn't absorb phosphate like calcium based rocks can, but there is a ton of surface area so if you don't have lots of flow or don't turkey baste detritus off the rock algae can grow in those spots.

• 2 months later...

I have had several pieces of vidarock and never had an issue with algae. at least no more so than with live rock. that being said, let me know if you want to sell yours. I'm always looking to buy new pieces.

Archived