Coral Vue Hydros

250 vs 175 MH

Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey

175 watt bulbs are so much cheaper than 250 bulbs, so why couldn't I use 5 or 6 175 bulbs over my six foot tank as opposed to 3 250's?

reef hugger

For the 250w set-up, 750w of light and $267 per year in bulbs.

For the 175w set-up, 875w-1050w of light and $325-$390 per year in bulbs. Along with the additional cost of the extra ballasts, the 175w set-up would not be cheaper.

Plus the 250's have MUCH more light output than 175's, even though it is only 75 watts more. Its all about par....BTW, more info is available at reefcentral.com for your tank size (this is the nano site, neither have any real relationship w/ each other except people here are their and vice versa).

Sam

You could but it wouldnt be any cheaper! Equipment wise or expended electricity wise. Its a lose - lose propisition all the way. The intensity of 250's will be higher anyways allowing for deeper light penetration which on a 24 inch deep tank with lights mounted 10-12 inches higher really is an mitigating factor!

Places I have looked there is very little difference in bulb prices between 175 and 250 watts. Fixture wise I think the extra 30.00 dollars and sometimes less is inconsequentail considering I can have a light thats suitable for my 75 gallon tank now but will allow me to have minimal upgrade cost incurred when I eventually go to a bigger tank such as a 120, or 240 gallon tank. Thats just an example that I am using as half the tanks I own are over 135 gallons (3). I only use 175's on frag grow out tanks that are 12 or so inches deep and have the lights 8 inches max above the tanks.

Dont take this wrong it can be done and it will indeed work good for you I am sure, but in my eyes its just not really feasable from an economical stand point. It might be worth while if you are trying to run straight halides and dont want a blue looking tank and you are trying to balance things out. Its still not an effecient way to operate though....

I do got one Nano but I base my experiences off all of my tanks and frag grow out tanks as in many cases the info is still relative for the most part. Sorry if that ruffles some feathers here as I do realize this site is geared towards nano's.

Thats just my opinion though on the lighting issue, and it doesnt count for much....

Archived