SaltCritters.com

New 29gal Biocube Setup - $2K (Cheaper Alternatives?)

Greshman

Basically everything everyone else has said! :) I have a 12 gallon aquapod thats been running for the last 2ish years, and I'm just now upgrading my lights from the stock lighting, as well as a few other handy diy mods, so I definitely agree with buying some of your equipment as you go. I've also learned that if you have list of things you would like to get, but don't quite need them yet, you can watch multiple sites for sales and get the best deal on the things you want. You're headed in the right direction!

Well, you'd definitely be far ahead of what most people plan (get the tank, toss in expensive ugly rock and sand from Petco, add fish the same day, and worry about everything else later lol). :)

But there are a few things I would do differently. For now, get the tank/stand, RO/Di system, salt mix (go ahead and get the bucket, you'll need more salt for water changes, etc, you pay more over time by buying smaller), heater, and refractometer (or floating glass hydrometer). Then get uncured rock and sand from KP Aquatics. Not sure where your 'reef ready live rock' would be from, but unless it's coming straight from the ocean, there won't be anything 'live' about it. Live rock/sand aren't only about the bacteria needed for establishing the tank, but it's the algaes, inverts, etc that come with the rock that truly make it 'live' and make it actually look nice instead of just brown or white rock. You'll be much happier overall, and honestly 20lbs of rock (which is more than enough, more than that and your tank will just be a box full of rocks) and then the sand should actually be cheaper by ordering from KPA.

Run with that setup for the first month or two, let the tank start getting into and start working through 'the uglies' (when diatoms and algaes grow faster than can be consumed by your cleanup crew) so it can start the road to balance.

When you begin stocking with corals, then start to look at test kits. Don't bother with test kits for anything other than calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, nitrate, and phosphate. Use quality test kits - Salifert, Red Sea, Elos, and the new Nyos test kits are supposed to be good, as well, stay far away from API. Unless you're stocking a lot of stony corals and need to figure out if you should dose, measure nitrate and phosphate once per week and test cal, alk, and mag monthly, there is no point in testing more often.

You don't need an MP10 right off the bat (though a great investment), nor do you need upgraded lighting. When it comes time for better lighting, look at Nano Box Reef (sponsor to N-R), they sell the easiest and by far best looking LED retrofits and the price should come out the same or close to the Steve's 99% kit.

I really appreciate you taking the time for all the good advice. I will check out KPA for the 20lbs of uncured live rock as you suggested. Also, taking a couple of month's to pause on the LED's makes this initial investment much easier. Thanks Jedimasterben!

I believe the tunze 9001, the cadlights nano, the ghost midsize I believe and possibly the tunze 9002 I thought as far as skimmers go that would better imo anyone else chime in on skimmers that work in the rear chambers with hood.

Basically everything everyone else has said! :) I have a 12 gallon aquapod thats been running for the last 2ish years, and I'm just now upgrading my lights from the stock lighting, as well as a few other handy diy mods, so I definitely agree with buying some of your equipment as you go. I've also learned that if you have list of things you would like to get, but don't quite need them yet, you can watch multiple sites for sales and get the best deal on the things you want. You're headed in the right direction!

Thanks man. Yeah, I'm going to defer a few of these items in order to spread out the cost a bit.

Don't know if you are set on a biocube but I would look into the new Red Sea Reefer Kits coming out. They basically have everything besides a skimmer, return pump and lighting. Gravity ATO/ Tank/ Stand/ Sump/ etc are included. They are giving a 10% off coupon and starting to ship soon. They are more expensive than the cubes but look better in my opinion and knock off some of the other items on the list (while giving you some things not on the list but its all preference at that point).

BTW, I sold a Biocube at $150 with retrofit LEDs so you could go used and find some good deals.

Salifert and Red Sea Pro test kits. I used API but over time I realized API is only decent for my freshwater tank.

KND107 has a valid point on tank options. I also recommend going a little larger because you will end up wanting to have a larger tank pretty quick once you get hooked on Reefin.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived