Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lighting Suggestions

Steensj2004

My concern is the aesthetics, I want something clean looking.

What about a ATI Sunpower 24"-6 or 8 bulb fixture. I like the looks, Price is definitely right @ under 500.00. I have always had LEDs, but seeing as Ben mentioned the light spread being better wonder why I shouldn't just go with that? Don't mind replacing bulbs..... I donno. Haven't heard back from Dave yet on a Quad.....

Theres no better light to get the best spread like an ATI fixture. they pack a punch too...

What size would you recommend? New to T5

If you're going with only T5 and the tank is 36x16x12, then 4x24w or 6x24w.

I guess since I know very little about all the ins and outs of lights, I am curious what I am actually losing out on between say a Nanobox Hybrid vs. 6x24w ATI fixture? I mean, obviously the Nanobox will be waaaay more controllable and have more bells and whistles, but will I have an advantage for coral health? there is a LARGE difference in price, but is the Hybrid that much more supirior to warrent the near 600.00 difference, and justify the cost?

I guess since I know very little about all the ins and outs of lights, I am curious what I am actually losing out on between say a Nanobox Hybrid vs. 6x24w ATI fixture? I mean, obviously the Nanobox will be waaaay more controllable and have more bells and whistles, but will I have an advantage for coral health? there is a LARGE difference in price, but is the Hybrid that much more supirior to warrent the near 600.00 difference, and justify the cost?

The only thing you'll lose by going with all T5 is shimmer.

jedimasterben

Do you want LEDs or do you want all T5? That's the big difference. Corals don't give too much of a damn what is above them, they only care about being alive, and any of these lights will keep them that way. How they look, how the tank looks, etc, is all up to you.

I am also curious, I have seen several used ATI 6x24w, 24" fixtures for sale cheap before, in the 350.00 range. Why couldn't I DIY and buy 2-3 of daves New pucks and install them myself in the ATI fixture? Of would the cost be about the same as just getting a hybrid from Dave? I was under the impression I was looking at 1000.00 for a Hybrid for this tank.

jedimasterben

I am also curious, I have seen several used ATI 6x24w, 24" fixtures for sale cheap before, in the 350.00 range. Why couldn't I DIY and buy 2-3 of daves New pucks and install them myself in the ATI fixture? Of would the cost be about the same as just getting a hybrid from Dave? I was under the impression I was looking at 1000.00 for a Hybrid for this tank.

You could certainly do that, but you'll find out soon why Dave's retrofits cost so much lol

You could certainly do that, but you'll find out soon why Dave's retrofits cost so much lol

I am certainly not AGAINST spending the 1000.00 on the Hybrid, but if there isn't a clear cut difference in growth/ coral health I certainly don't wanna spend that much. I gather that they are definately worth it from your comments, lol.

I should just spend the effing 1000.00, huh?

jedimasterben

I am certainly not AGAINST spending the 1000.00 on the Hybrid, but if there isn't a clear cut difference in growth/ coral health I certainly don't wanna spend that much. I gather that they are definately worth it from your comments, lol.

I should just spend the effing 1000.00, huh?

That's your call. Corals only care about intensity, so you could go to Home Depot and buy a bunch of T8 shop lights and use those and they'd grow corals very well (provided you could get them all close enough together, of course lol).

The places you should never skimp out on are filtration, flow, and lighting, in that order, and it's always best to do as much of those three as possible (within reason).

That's your call. Corals only care about intensity, so you could go to Home Depot and buy a bunch of T8 shop lights and use those and they'd grow corals very well (provided you could get them all close enough together, of course lol).

The places you should never skimp out on are filtration, flow, and lighting, in that order, and it's always best to do as much of those three as possible (within reason).

Gotcha, I currently plan ( in the order you listed) on:

2-MP10esW OR 1-MP10esW and 1- MP40esW( Kinda feel the MP40 might be overkill

Ruby Systems 30 elite Sump( or DIY 20L haven't decided)

Bubble Mangus NAC 3.5 Or Vertex 130

Just having a hard time with light, lol

Just do a Quad Nanobox, no T5. The LEDs are more than enough for all types of coral. You could do a hybrid, but that gets $$$ and while it's nice, it's not necessary.

True, but at the price Dave just sent me for a hybrid for this tank, I'm looking at a slim difference for the hybrid, only like 150.00 more then a quad, ordering hybrid tonight, problem solved!

Thanks for all the help guys, I aprriciate it Ben, Tibbs, Tron, Chad, and Zoo!

Dual ick? lol

Pucks, hehehe, my bad!

Anyone have a link to a good forum thread that discusses LED vs. T5 vs. Metal Hal. benfits and specs etc? I ma very curious to lean about all the different stuff and advantages/disadvantages...?

jedimasterben

Pucks, hehehe, my bad!

Anyone have a link to a good forum thread that discusses LED vs. T5 vs. Metal Hal. benfits and specs etc? I ma very curious to lean about all the different stuff and advantages/disadvantages...?

Yeah, two would have no chance of being enough over a 36x16 area, even with two T5.

You won't really find any data that compares them fairly without people arguing about it lol

Archived