ReefCleaners.org

Nano or micro chillers? Who wants/needs one? And What's out there?

BlueThumb

I don't mean to blow up nano-reef but I do it time to time. So my question to you guys out there, assuming you need a chiller for your nano, is who/what do you use? How about a compact, DC Chiller?

My Premise/Thesis for my question:

I don't really think there there are very effective chiller solutions for the "Nano" world or even the reefing world, which is quickly and overwhelmingly embracing LED lighting and DC pumps. Our power usage and thermal wasting is significantly lower than ever before. I'm now upgrading my 28G nano (sorry, was never meant to be anything more than temporary) and going with a 85 gallon tank. As I'm spec'ing out the equipment, I'm realizing that between LED lighting, DC pumps, and power-heads, my total power usage is significantly lower than what I used my first reef tank 15 years ago, e.g. running VHO/MH lighting, little giant inline pump, original maxi-jet power-heads, etc. My calculations say I could probably get away with a 1/15 chiller or smaller. And if I didn't mind heavy evaporation, I could avoid one altogether.

So if i wanted to run a chiller, I would only want to run something small and very compact. I minimally need one so it should take up minimum space and use minimum power. However, this doesn't really exist.

Chillers I've seen that could work:

1) JBJ Artica 1/15 HP (smallest footprint and efficient)

2) Chines made (generic) 1/10 HP Chiller (many brands, very few differences)

3) Thermo-Electric coolers (many brands and methods)

4) Micro-DC PWM chiller - oh wait - this doesn't exist. Well, yes and no.

The DC variable speed micro-compressor is here:

There is now commercially available, even available through ebay. It can run on 12-48VDC from 100-500 Watts. The efficiency is what you'd expect from a small, variable speed DC motor. Basically, blows the doors off of the larger AC compressors. A compact design can be done but hasn't yet.

So how much would you pay for a compact, DC compressor capable of being tuned for the size of your tank, anywhere from nano to 120 gallon (estimated)?

With integrated AD/DC converter?

Without converter, e.g. you supply you're own power supply (dust off your old meanwell or brick)?

Nothing? Hmmm...seems there is no market for a compact, high efficiency chiller. Or maybe the issue is nano-reefers (like me) don't typically have a need for chillers so no opinion? Seems like I'll have to post the same question on RC.

Nano chillers shouldn't be too hard to make, same construction as a standard chiller, just using a variable speed DC compressor and DC power source. The main down side is that a DC converter is costlier than just plugging into a AC source directly. One complication to consider is that a variable speed DC compressor will run at higher speeds to account for it's smaller size, especially at high demand. Thus, gas velocity will likely be much higher than a standard unit, which means you either have to slow it down somehow out the outlet side or have a larger condenser and/or faster, variable speed condenser fan. Anyway, I'm sure one can be built. If I were a still a single guy with time to spare, I'd probably be knocking out a prototype.

Archived