Coral Vue Hydros

Advice for Lighting in a Nano Cube

costa78

I picked up a free nano cube from this pet store as part of a deal I worked out, however it came with the ballast but no endcap or bulb. I started cycling this tank a week ago, but am now ready to add lights. My question is whether I should use the existing ballast, and add an additional ballast or change to a retro all together? I plan on having mainly zoos, shrooms, and maybe a hammer. I would like to get about 60 to 80 watts over all. This is my first nano and dont want to mess up before I even get going. Thanks! ;):)

Do you know if the ballast works?

Might be quickest to just pick up a dual 32W retrofit kit and add it to the stock hood.

Always wondered but has anyone ever tried to fit a 96watt Powerquad under one of those suckers? They seem to be the most size efficient of all PC light systems.

Just an idea.

~

OK....I've read through this forum, but can't determine where I can buy these 32W PC's that will fit under the plastic protector on the Nano's hood. Can someone point me to them?

I heled a 96w quad up to the Nano Cube, and with a little engineering, it will fit diagonaly.

I don't know how effective that would be however.

If I were you, I'd go pick up 2x32w Retros and leave it at that.

As far as I know it works, but like I said, it is missing the end cap. Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a 2x32w retro plus leave the existing ballast there as well? Would the ballast need to be moved out of the hood?

Yes you can fit 3 PC in there but it is tight. You will want to remove all ballasts from the hood to help cut down on the heat and add a small exhaust fan. You can make an end cap with shrink tubing and wire conectors.

Archived