Top Shelf Aquatics

clear slug looking thing with split tail

asn

I have these things in my tank that are about the size of a pencil eraser that look like a slug with a split tail. (kinda look like a strom____ snail, but they are clear, and have a split tail)

I've got two pictures, one with flash, and one with out. neither one is very good.

any idea what they are?

are they harmful? is there anything that will eat them? will they multiply like the brown/red ones?

this is a 16 gal nano with no fish in it yet, my plans were to have 2 clowns, and maybe 2 small gobys

people will argue whether or not they are really harmful. Some have said they are, but I know people who have had them, and i have had them and they were fine. Some info has suggested that they could be harmful to some corals and clams. It is up to you if you want to get rid of them. The main problem is if they reproduce like mad. Luckly mine managed to wipe them self out.

there are some fish that eat them, i dont remember which one right off the top of my head. There are also velvet sea slugs that will eat them, and some people have had good luck with Flatworm Exit by Salifert.

As far as i know they are not harmful to fish, but I could be wrong.

I thought flatworms had a three tipped tail. these things have a two tipped tail. I tried to draw a picture for you to see.

they have also been hanging out on the back glass, and they look like they eat algea. what do flatworms eat?

Ok, so I have a "white" flatworm that will eat brown flatworms as well as small crustaceans such as copepods.

I don't know if this is good or bad.

I suppose they will eat all the little crustaceans in my tank and then die. But I like having all of those little critters in there.

Hmmm.......

Any suggestions on what to do?

thanks

mine never ate critters. never even left the glass. you can also use a piece of airline tubbing to suck them out if there is a few.

just get rid of them if they bug you or concern you at all.

i think they are just interesting a cool to look at.

I don't mind keeping them, as long as I only have a couple. I don't want to wake up one morning and see 100's of them.

Thanks for your help!

I have these in my pico tank. Sometimes i will wake up and see 50 or more. Lately i only see a few and i use a wooden skewer to skew them and remove em. I had seen the clear ones, brown ones, and red ones. Now only the clear ones. Don't seem to bother my pods though.

has anyone ever had these things take over their tank? I've gone back and forth on wether or not to remove them, but if I ever get the bad flatworms, these guys will eat them

decisions....

Archived