inTank Media Baskets

Reef-Roids?

Wjcastiglione

Wjcastiglione

So, i got reef roids today - fed the tank for the first time with it. followed dosing instructions to a T - the tank has been cloudy ever since - anybody else have this issue before?

I mean - not super cloudy - but - not as clear as I'm used to - and I probably fed the tank 8 hours ago.

Are you turning all the pumps off when you feed? Also, you may be over feeding. I use around 1/8 tsp for 18 gallons mixed with 15ml tank water. Gonis and zoas have great feeding response with it and I haven't noticed any cloudiness afterwards. Nassarius snails are quick to clean up any excess that falls on the sand, filter floss pulls the rest.

Wjcastiglione

I only turned my wave maker off when feeding, not the main pump - next time I'll do the main pump as well.

I changed my filter floss just now - hopefully that will help - although it wasn't super dirty at all. It was just meh. I probably could've got another week out of it.

The good news is: my corals loved it. All of them are fully extended and seem to have better colors.

Is this your most recent FTS:

post-86110-0-34410600-1420510143_thumb.j

If so you definitely overfed for the amount of corals you have. Probably not a huge deal if your parameters stay ok, but probably wouldn't hurt to do a water change either to play it safe.

So, i got reef roids today - fed the tank for the first time with it. followed dosing instructions to a T - the tank has been cloudy ever since - anybody else have this issue before?

I mean - not super cloudy - but - not as clear as I'm used to - and I probably fed the tank 8 hours ago.

It's supposed to stay cloudy for a while, that's the idea. On a real reef there is a constant source of food in the water, all kinds of small particulates, but in our tanks we like to run crystal clear, which is pretty much like planting a plant in the desert and expecting it to stay lush.

I don't disagree with what other said but I would feed smaller amounts more often to keep the goodies in the water for the SPS. :)

• 6 years later...

Id like to revive this thread. He asked the same question Ive been wondering about and reports the same kinda thing Ive seen in my tank. When I did some research, seems like for most reefing youtuber folks, a cloudy tank for the next 8-12hrs, after feeding reef-roids is normal. Most of them seem to feed close to end of daylight and let the reef roid dust settle until the next day. I think we're all feeding with flow off or can assume that...  

So perhaps I can poll a few of those using Reed Roids to gain more knowledge: 

(1) What kinda reef do you have? Mixed, LPS, etc

(2) Are you target or broadcast feeding?

(3) How often are you feeding? 

(4) What quantity are you feeding? 

(5) What measure success can you attribute to the reef roids? 

Myself:
(1) 13.5G Mixed, LPS focused. Heavily stocked, but immature aquarium. 

(2) Target feeding

(3) Every 2nd day as per instructions

(4) Couple pinches. Probably 2ml worth. 

(5) Too early to tell for myself. 

thanks!