Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hello! I would like to share my first journey in reefing. (BioCube 14)

ConnorKessler

skyscraper2290

Nice nice, just making sure it wasn't tap. I didn't see a ro/di unit in the original post so was just double checking

ConnorKessler

Oh of course, I totally forgot to mention that in the original post. I will go back and add that. Thanks for the catch.

I will also add the Aqueon 500 circulation pump I got today.

ConnorKessler

Still having an annoying algae problem on the glass. Not sure what to do at this point. Ive cut back the lighting and when I do have the lights on I only keep the one white bulb going as I dont have corals yet.

Nice start and welcome to NR.

I've got the same tank. Coming up on three years running. I too had heat issues with stock lighting. Always 81-83 and even saw 85 a few times. Not acceptable.

I did the RapidLED retrofit and it's been amazing. Corals are doing great, algae is very manageable for my small but effective CUC, and temps always 77-79. Lower avg temp in winter by a degree. But it is very stable.

Heat control in biocubes can be a nightmare.

Now I am running three pumps with no issues at all. I have a power head in chamber 1 with DIY plumbing return, Koriala pump hidden in back of tank and the stock Coralife return.

I also run the same skimmer as you with what I would consider success given our space limitation.

The ATO will be key, good move.

And algae will happen, just be patient. I had a major breakout a few months in so I hate to say your algae may get worse before it gets better.

Just keep up on water changes.

Also, and this is odd, since doing LED my algae growth has been minimal. Don't know if it was my spectrum choice or what but my tank is doing pretty well these days.

I'll be following, let me know if your have questions.

I went the same journey as you with many many years in fresh water but feeling totally unchallenged by it.

ConnorKessler

Thank you so much for the helpful response! I'm glad it sounds like I am on track. I will certainly be keeping up on water changes. And LED's will certainly be in the work once I get the money. (Broke college kid life, agh)

Yea man, it is not a cheap hobby unfortunately.

But I've found, and many Im sure will agree, that if you spend more for a better particular component it will be worth it.

Archived