inTank Media Baskets

New Tank Aquascape

Jeradmccarty

just looking for some interesting ideas on my scape and if its good to go, maybe someone can give me some inspiration to change it up a bit or maybe not, thanks. its hard to tell but in the big rock to the left there is a huge cave like opening in the middle with more than 4 ways for fish to get in.

pic 2

post-78020-0-35570900-1421079350_thumb.jpg

post-78020-0-24189100-1421079444_thumb.jpg

Looks nice to me. Maybe add a bridge between the two piles?

yeah i thought about something like that, thanks for the input

I like the left side, but the right just looks like you placed 4 rocks next to each other, maybe try stacking them in some way

i did just place them together but what the picture doesn't really do is show that is kind of in a S formation and between the two closest to the right side there is cave between the two, but i agree maybe stacking in some way might actually look a little better, thanks

What size tank is that? Initially I was thinking 20L, but never seen a 20L with a glass center brace and the black trim looks too thin...

Anyways, ultimately it doesn't matter much as the focus is on the scape.

For me it's too linear, in other words it feels like you strung focal points along the entire width of the tank, but none to enhance the feeling of depth. The points that draw my attention are roughly in the middle of the tank depth wise. I think that the rock on the left just may be too large. It's definitely too far to the left! Moving it to the right would make it feel balanced.

Normally I'm a fan of having multiple "islands", however, given the rock you have (assuming this is all of it), it may look cool to have a slope. So move the big rock on the left over a few inches and then use the 2 rocks on the right to create a sort of slope down. Have the large rock start in the back, and then have the slope trail off into the sand and sort of curve toward the front. It's important to have rocks at different places front-to-back, as this is what creates a sense of depth. It's important that an onlooker have focal points in the front and in the back.

Note that this might require some judicious use of a chisel - however - as I found out from my recently completed scape altering the rocks can help create a scape you're really happy with vs. trying to work with the limited options of the rock shapes you have.

For example, I would consider flipping the big rock upside down! You may have to chisel off some of the edges to make it less wide, but you could saw the top flat so it sits stable. Alternatively you could split it so it doesn't take up so much of the depth of your tank. Do the same thing with some of the other rocks (or leave the big one and just stand the other rocks up). Use the hack saw to make a flat base.

Finally what kind of rock is that?

post-39800-0-85878200-1421123590_thumb.jpg

Im really diggin it personally. I wouldnt hesitate to run with it as is.

awesome

I think it looks good

i like it to

What size tank is that? Initially I was thinking 20L, but never seen a 20L with a glass center brace and the black trim looks too thin...

Anyways, ultimately it doesn't matter much as the focus is on the scape.

For me it's too linear, in other words it feels like you strung focal points along the entire width of the tank, but none to enhance the feeling of depth. The points that draw my attention are roughly in the middle of the tank depth wise. I think that the rock on the left just may be too large. It's definitely too far to the left! Moving it to the right would make it feel balanced.

Normally I'm a fan of having multiple "islands", however, given the rock you have (assuming this is all of it), it may look cool to have a slope. So move the big rock on the left over a few inches and then use the 2 rocks on the right to create a sort of slope down. Have the large rock start in the back, and then have the slope trail off into the sand and sort of curve toward the front. It's important to have rocks at different places front-to-back, as this is what creates a sense of depth. It's important that an onlooker have focal points in the front and in the back.

Note that this might require some judicious use of a chisel - however - as I found out from my recently completed scape altering the rocks can help create a scape you're really happy with vs. trying to work with the limited options of the rock shapes you have.

For example, I would consider flipping the big rock upside down! You may have to chisel off some of the edges to make it less wide, but you could saw the top flat so it sits stable. Alternatively you could split it so it doesn't take up so much of the depth of your tank. Do the same thing with some of the other rocks (or leave the big one and just stand the other rocks up). Use the hack saw to make a flat base.

Finally what kind of rock is that?

It is an Aquarium Masters 50 Long, and it has thicker glass than normal tanks for stability, i like your draw up of the aquascaping, thank you very much for your educated input

I like it, but it looks like your rocks are too close to the glass, you'll want them far enough away that you can get your hand between with a razor, as well as being able to get a mag-cleaner between there. I have an area that I can get with a mag cleaner but the mag cleaner won't take the stuff off, I need to get to it with a razor but my hand is too big.. lol.

I think I'd try to make the two farthest right rocks into one sculpture.. maybe all three.

Ok, so i changed it up a bit because my overflow box was gonna be in the way with the rocks on the left side of the tank, i moved them around quite a bit actually and i also brought them away from the edges of the tank. i think I'm going to stand pat with what i have, i like the two clumped island look with some space open in the middle, i was going for rock work with lots of caves anyways so.

post-78020-0-41905700-1421281943_thumb.jpg

post-78020-0-81699200-1421281955_thumb.jpg

post-78020-0-48861200-1421281967_thumb.jpg

post-78020-0-10114400-1421281984_thumb.jpg

post-78020-0-32887200-1421281993_thumb.jpg

post-78020-0-26308400-1421282000_thumb.jpg

post-78020-0-90303100-1421282005_thumb.jpg

Rock on Donkey Kong

I like this moar better. Seems more balanced and definitely more interesting. I think you've incorporated some depth by creating the atoll on the left, and the way that you've stacked the pile on the right it looks much more dominant than before.

So when I look at the tank my eyes clearly go to the right first, I take that in, and then I shift to the left and I'm treated to a less dominant, but equally pleasing area. Still lots of open sand bed in-between too.

Rock on Donkey Kong

I like this moar better. Seems more balanced and definitely more interesting. I think you've incorporated some depth by creating the atoll on the left, and the way that you've stacked the pile on the right it looks much more dominant than before.

So when I look at the tank my eyes clearly go to the right first, I take that in, and then I shift to the left and I'm treated to a less dominant, but equally pleasing area. Still lots of open sand bed in-between too.

maybe i will bring them a little closer together, yeah i like it better now

I think that would be a good idea. still looks too close to the glass imo.

Haha I was going to say move the pile on the left over just a few inches - but I didn't want to seem overly critical.

One thing I didn't realize in the initial design was that the rock on the left was actually several rocks... Still it didn't have a whole lot of appeal because it really did just look like a big rock sitting in the tank. By having high and low points and even the small sand garden inside you create a slew of interesting things about that formation.

i have yet again gone with a different look, very similar to what the last was but i have no pics yet, I'm waiting to take pics once i get it up and running so as soon as i get my photon 48 from reef breeders i can setup the tank i will take pics and post them. I'm sure that ajmckay will like it lol. i hope that logan at reef breeders gets the light in stock this week so i can get it shipped to me asap. after that i have nothing else left to purchase and i can get up and running. the tank is going in my business instead of my house because the wife doesn't want it in the house anymore and i think it will look better in my lighting showroom. pics to come soon

well the new look is very similar to the last one i posted, only the left side was re worked a bit, i still have the same spots and some more now, i will post pics when its done and up and running.

Cool excited to see it

Yeah my reef breeders photon 48 finally shipped yesterday so its on its way finally, I'm hoping to be fully setup by the end of next weekend so the pics are coming and the fun is just bout to start.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived