SaltCritters.com

Legendary PicoReef, Floating Tonga Zoa Islands

buddythelion

Mine have kept their rings, if anything they are even more distinct. I'll have to get pics.

So, in 2 months the weather should be great. You can set aside a frag of Molten Lava, an ultra lava lamps, and a pink polyped eco-gorg for me. ;)

EDIT: Pics! SO I just got an iPhone6 yesterday. Working on making my shots prettier, though they will never be as nice as Darwin's. The zoas aren't as washed out as they look in this pic, they are really bright.

LiteBrite_zps9868e741.jpg

In two months, I'm definitely sure you're going to want more than that put aside. ;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got my scape today... I love the magnetic aspects and can't believe it all fits in a 10" tank. :wub:

Jester really has worked his magic up once again. Going to have one rockin pico with these!

15685392594_88f68e092a_b.jpg

Top piece:

16120259168_370214bb08_b.jpg

Right piece:

16306951442_c52095e825_b.jpg

Bottom piece:

16306027431_fe3e89408d_b.jpg

In two months, I'm definitely sure you're going to want more than that put aside. ;)

Well... yeah. :D Gotta keep you in business so you can stock this tank, right? ;)

Love the floating Tonga scape. Your friend did some great work.

Can we get a side view on that fish? A tiger goby, perhaps?

Wow this is great. Can't wait to see the zoas you mounting on these. I guess the challenge is to retain the interesting branch shapes after packing it with zoas.

This is looking really exciting! I love the tonga sticks and the idea of encrusting the floor. I vote for the Molten Lava - I think the darker color will give a nice contrast for everything else. Kinda like black sand.

I've got SPS in my 4g tank and I had to set up an automatic doser. The Alk swings were just too much and I had to manually dose twice a day just to keep up.

Glad you joined the pico club! This tank looks like it's going to be awesome! Those floating islands are definitely the most creative scape in a pico I've seen

+1 ^ extremely cool scape! The whole floating, magnetic element puts this little build over the top. Cant wait for the Kandy show to begin now. I know your sitting on some gems over there. Grats on the new build Buddy

Cool idea with the floating Tongan branches. I've never seen that fish before either... Is it a Goby or Jawfish?

Thanks, glad to have my friend who can make any scape. It's definitely a goby! I think it might be priolepis now?

Well... yeah. :D Gotta keep you in business so you can stock this tank, right? ;)

Love the floating Tonga scape. Your friend did some great work.

Can we get a side view on that fish? A tiger goby, perhaps?

Hmm, definitely not a tiger goby. It's very clear cut black and white. I think it's priolepis after talking with a fish store owner who dives a lot to collect his own fish (Baja Reef!).

Cool idea.

Your rocks look like these fine gentlemen's hands

article-2261162-16E2ED55000005DC-8_634x4

:lol:

Lol, it does. Just have to glue some frags onto their hands.

Wow this is great. Can't wait to see the zoas you mounting on these. I guess the challenge is to retain the interesting branch shapes after packing it with zoas.

Thank you. I've mounted a couple just to see how it looks and wow, definitely loving it. I'd love to try some other corals, but I'm afraid that it'll ruin the tonga scape too.

This is looking really exciting! I love the tonga sticks and the idea of encrusting the floor. I vote for the Molten Lava - I think the darker color will give a nice contrast for everything else. Kinda like black sand.

I've got SPS in my 4g tank and I had to set up an automatic doser. The Alk swings were just too much and I had to manually dose twice a day just to keep up.

Molten Lava would be a very nice choice now that you mentioned it. I was going for a big bright wow factor, but the dark body and bright orange eyes is also an appealing idea. It also has bright teal eyes as it encrusts. Hmm.

And yup, that settles it. No SPS in this tank. I've already got a 200 gallon and a 25 gallon to worry about parameters. This tank is supposed to be my little escape from "reefing work." Your tank is a bad example, I'm going to want to put a cute Ponape Birdsnest in here.

Glad you joined the pico club! This tank looks like it's going to be awesome! Those floating islands are definitely the most creative scape in a pico I've seen

Thanks C! I had no idea how much they could be. It's such a different perspective compared to nanos, which are just smaller versions of regular tanks. Picos are much more limited, but at the same time simpler. If you don't know him yet, Jester/ J6 is from our area(ish). He makes awesome scapes. How'd Davis? I wanted to go there when I was going thinking about pursuing veterinary school.

+1 ^ extremely cool scape! The whole floating, magnetic element puts this little build over the top. Cant wait for the Kandy show to begin now. I know your sitting on some gems over there. Grats on the new build Buddy

Oh idk Z. My corals are meh. It's not like I almost stocked the tank on zoas already... :rolleyes:

Legendary_400px.jpg

:lol:

Where are the updates?

:angry::furious:

I found out that one of the magnets were rusting a bit, so I'm having my friend replace it with a new batch. Until then, most of the frags are on the bottom of the tank = ugly.

Just ordered some green banded gobies, I think they'll be fun little guys in this tank. :)

Awesomeness! Are you going to keep all 10 in this little tank?

Haha no. My plan was for 5 in this tank and 5 in another tank. But my candy basslet is a lot meaner than I expected, I added a new small fish to the tank and I came back an hour later to a fish with very torn up fins. I think he tried to eat it, didn't expect that since it's usually very docile. So the GBG's won't be safe in that tank. :(

But how cool would 10 GBGs look in this tank??? I don't know if there will be territorial issues after they pair up...

Thanks C! I had no idea how much they could be. It's such a different perspective compared to nanos, which are just smaller versions of regular tanks. Picos are much more limited, but at the same time simpler. If you don't know him yet, Jester/ J6 is from our area(ish). He makes awesome scapes. How'd Davis? I wanted to go there when I was going thinking about pursuing veterinary school.

+1 on the goby genus btw. Usually Priolepis nocturna is more commonly seen than the species you have. He looks awesome tho! Probably loves mysis

Hmm, I don't think I know him, sounds like a cool guy. He in the SJ area?

I visited Davis for the weekend the other week, I won't be attending until this summer. But I found a cool "red flame" macro at a little fish store near campus. I was surprised the prices were actually a little cheaper compared to the bay

I like those magnetic branches!

I dig them too!

+1 on the goby genus btw. Usually Priolepis nocturna is more commonly seen than the species you have. He looks awesome tho! Probably loves mysis

Hmm, I don't think I know him, sounds like a cool guy. He in the SJ area?

I visited Davis for the weekend the other week, I won't be attending until this summer. But I found a cool "red flame" macro at a little fish store near campus. I was surprised the prices were actually a little cheaper compared to the bay

Nocturna gets pretty big. These guys were about 3/4" across, I always thought they were cool fish though. I saw the fish that Steve ended up getting instead of the convicts. LOL.

The mystery gobies passed away after 1 day, so I guess I won't know how they do in captivity. I got them straight out of a bag that looked like it was from the wholesale. They were too small to be in the fish system of the store, so I took them knowing the chance. :(

I just got my GBG, they look great! Hoping to see them eat tonight. Definitely candy basslet food. 5 doesn't look like much in this 4 gallon tank surprisingly.

jedimasterben

I just got my GBG, they look great! Hoping to see them eat tonight. Definitely candy basslet food. 5 doesn't look like much in this 4 gallon tank surprisingly.

How do you think the lone one is in my 80g? lol :)

Yay for GBG's! They will get a little bigger, but not much :) I'm glad yours withstood shipping better than mine.

But I've always thought you should be able to keep more than the stereotypical "one or at most two small gobies" in a 4g tank. Five should be great especially once they get active. Keep the tank covered, btw :unsure:

How do you think the lone one is in my 80g? lol :)

Hahaha, guess you need to pick up 5 more.

Love the Floating Branches idea!!

Thanks! I love it too. Can't wait to glue these zoas down.

Yay for GBG's! They will get a little bigger, but not much :) I'm glad yours withstood shipping better than mine.

But I've always thought you should be able to keep more than the stereotypical "one or at most two small gobies" in a 4g tank. Five should be great especially once they get active. Keep the tank covered, btw :unsure:

I've had them before. I bought two small ones and the largest one became the male. The tall front dorsal fin is super cool and they would always dart into a hole together, doing stuff. ;) Yeah, I'm surprised how well they came in. The box I got was super light, so I thought he forgot them. They were just so small he shipped them all in a small bag. Mine are about the size of flaming prawn gobies.

Right now they're just hanging out in a corner next to a chalice frag. Hopefully when I come back home they'll be swimming all around the floating islands! And luckily my pico comes with a glass lid! I bought frozen rotifers and cyclops, hopefully they take feeding well.

I have no idea how they're so cheap! Maybe GBGs is the equivalent of gobies we find tidepooling over here in CA.

Archived