Pod Your Reef

Cutting Dry Rock

Eisernes

I keep seeing pictures of peoples in progress rock scapes with a hacksaw laying next to it. Is that a coincidence or is a hacksaw a good scaping tool? And if a hacksaw works could a jigsaw work on shelf pieces for more precision?

I don't know about a jigsaw, but I used a hacksaw and it worked well. It allowed me to create a more stable bottom for some of my pieces.

Favorite rock forming tools are definitely a hacksaw, cold chisel, and a hammer. Not sure of others angle grinder was a new one, anyone else got cool ones?

I used a hack saw for 1 cut... but a finish nail hammer was the best. I used the claw like most people would use a cold chisel... because I had a hammer.

Hack saw is the weapon of choice for long straight cuts to make stable bases.

If your reshaping a visible section, hammer and chisel is best to keep a more natural uneven look to the rock.

When wanting to trim bits off in tight spaces the trusty dremel or similar is great. Don't just think cutting blade either, a lot of the grinding tools work very well on soft live rock and allow you to keep or restore the look of a natural weathered rock.

For "fine" detail like trimming away plug material or making small sections of rocks fit better I use a cheap cuticle trimmer & small wire cutter pliers.

Chisel & hammer for the larger rocks... next tank or scape I'll definitely try the hacksaw approach, perhaps to also make some stackable ledges.

• 2 months later...

I was unable to get through it with a hacksaw. It was more trouble then it was worth. Chisel and grinder would be best.

234040F5-C879-48AF-B4B7-AD00788A25ED_zps

I used a hacksaw to great success. You will find that some of the Fiji rocks take FOREVER to cut, this one rock took at least 30 minutes of continuous movement, but my other rock that was 3x larger took 5. The blade wasn't dulled at all, it was just a much harder rock for some reason. I would sand the bottom of your rocks after you cut them too, makes them perfectly smooth and (IMO) would help prevent scratches.

Archived