Cultivated Reef

Hqi ?

Guillermo Monroy

Guillermo Monroy

Being so new to this hobby, I want to understand something. In order to attempt to reproduce the mother of all light sources the Sun, MH is the preferred method to use by many hobbyist. Some MH uses DE HQI with an appropriate ballast to power them. My question is can someone get the same results by using an DE HQI T-3 5600k 150W bulb with the difference this one does not require a ballast to power it because it is used to by the Interior Decoration industry lamps.

EtOH_is_good

lamps for reef tanks have optimized color spectrum for the inhabitants. you may need to get the color spectrum analyzed to see if your bulb is appropriate for a reef. my guess is no. white light is tricky because our eyes are adaptive. coral are not so adaptive.

5600K is rather low for a reef tank. It will look yellow. Most reefers use at least 6700K with the proper spectrum for photosynthesis. 10,000K and 20,000K are becoming the norm. Quality of light is just as or more important than quantity. Good quality light ain't cheap, but neither are corals.

Archived