inTank Media Baskets

5 Gallon minibow project

Vash_The_Stampede

Vash_The_Stampede

Yet again, another minibow thread for everyone to enjoy, or throw up over, eather way I don't care, j/k ;) .

Well my original plan was to use a 5.5 Gallon that I was using to QT a Royal Gramma (btw, he is in my 29 now, looks great, try to find a digital camera), but while trying to take the glue from the price sticker off (using hot water, guess where this is going), the silicon on one of the sides came loose, and now the tank is trash. Lesson learned.

Anyway, this weekend, I hope to buy and 5 Gallon minibow with black trim. I am trashing everything but the tank itself and the lighing until I get the 70 Watt retrokit.

There will be an Aquaclear powerfilter for mechanical and chemical filtration, and will be the main circulation pump. Anybody have suggestions on with model to use, I don't have much experience with nanos.

Added circulation will come from a Powersweep, the smallest model I can find. Anyone know which one this is? It will be placed in the backhand corner facing out into the aquarium.

Want to use around 5lbs of live rock, and use about 1-2" of live sand.

Lighting will come from a 70 Watt metal halide retrofit kit suspended above the aquarium from the wall. I am just going to build a simple wooden box with a single 3" fan for the bulb itself.

The tank will be for sps corals and a single Tridacna crocea. The corals are going to be donated by a buddy of mine, she was nice enough to offer me frags from here setup. The only fish will be a Yellow Clown Goby. A Cleaner shrimp (species not yet know) will also be added. A couple of small snails and a few hermits (please don't freak out about the hermits, I have heard everything, and I personally like them), will be used for algae and detritus cleanup.

Well that is pretty much it. I hope to barrow my aunt's camera to take shots. If I had the money, I would pick up the aquarium tomorrow, but I am pretty broke. :*(

myfisharemean

cool, I guess i can just soak old acrylic parts to get them loose, lol, cool, I hope it goes well, I'm gonna get 2 double pc fixtures from fosters and smith, 30 bucks a pop, for 72 watts total, great deal. Anywho, i hope it goes well for you, sorry for your mishap, at least you have extra parts and acrylic to mess with if you ever need baffles or what-not. Oh, and where did you get the 70w MH, (and how much)I thought they only came in 150w, 250w, etc. Good post, keep us informed! -Matt

Archived