Pod Your Reef

Help me with my scape

Spiderguardnano

Spiderguardnano

Came up with this not sure how I feel about it

Tie straps there just for idea final structure will be glued down

Trying to go for a cliff style on the left and a pillar towards the back right

2763D9C5-B780-4420-87A1-6766F030A35A_zps81CF8594-7B18-4949-BEC0-3121993E2946_zps

009C04F6-D509-4755-88DC-CB60555B0B1C_zps

5173F2C9-7E94-4E75-966B-DB89DF9834C1_zps

38C176C6-552C-4877-B96B-7459A3885BB2_zps

Does the paper size happen to correspond to the footprint of the tank?

I've always enjoyed MedRed's scapes, but he get's pretty fancy with them... It seems like you might need some branch rock or something to really get the shape in the tank you link to, or possibly a careful chiseling can get another rock into more of a tapering shape?

Overall I really like that scape though... It's sort of similar to what I ended up with for my 40b. I think that the dual island look is pretty natural, easy to maintain, and allows for plenty of sand bed exposed. I found once messing in the tank that it usually looked best with the larger formations in the back, and the smaller ones in the front though. I think if you put the large formation too close to the front glass you'll lose any sense of perspective once the tank is filled with water and magnifies everything.

I can't really tell, but what kind of rock is that and how many lbs?

2014-12-26%2021.30.48.jpg

Fark, paint? your rendering looks nice as well... I'm a fan of the shelfy/pillar look as long as you have good rock for that. You need a variety of sizes, mostly on the smaller side.

Spiderguardnano

Does the paper size happen to correspond to the footprint of the tank?

I've always enjoyed MedRed's scapes, but he get's pretty fancy with them... It seems like you might need some branch rock or something to really get the shape in the tank you link to, or possibly a careful chiseling can get another rock into more of a tapering shape?

Overall I really like that scape though... It's sort of similar to what I ended up with for my 40b. I think that the dual island look is pretty natural, easy to maintain, and allows for plenty of sand bed exposed. I found once messing in the tank that it usually looked best with the larger formations in the back, and the smaller ones in the front though. I think if you put the large formation too close to the front glass you'll lose any sense of perspective once the tank is filled with water and magnifies everything.

I can't really tell, but what kind of rock is that and how many lbs?

Fark, paint? your rendering looks nice as well... I'm a fan of the shelfy/pillar look as long as you have good rock for that. You need a variety of sizes, mostly on the smaller side.

Its marco dry rocks i say its about 25lbs i still have like 2 pieces left I'm thinking of breaking up some pieces and adding it around the pillar

i think i will move the bigger structure towards the back because it does make sense what you said about perspective.

the sheet of paper is an representative of the tank i will be using so i might need to chisel some corners off

I used an app called Infinite Painter.

Wanted to keep it buildable with the rock he had posted in his pics. With the hacksaw, he can make any size rock he likes.

One can buy threaded nylon rod, and nylon nuts at USPlastics. Then use two part reef epoxy to fill the gaps. One would need like a 12" masonry bit. I personally would like a third short island out in front for a ric garden.

I'll have to check that out... like the simplicity of the drawing.

I agree, it's amazing what you can do with a hack saw and chisel. I only just started modifying my rocks though. My previous mentaility was "don't mess with nature". But turns out that sucks and it's better to hack and modify things.

Hey so I think I'm torn between these scapes... I'm glad you're taking your time on this though... My recent scape went through several iterations (probably 6 fundamentally different "stages"). Plus it's a little hard to visualize because there's no front shot of the first scape.

Scape 1)

- I like the transition between the 2 islands.

- It looks like there is a ton of places to put corals. But I suppose that depends on what your coral plans are.

- It has a good mix of slopey/cliffy/overhangy things.

- Cliffs are really close to the glass. I had this issue with mine as well. If you don't mind some cliffs on the side view then you're okay.

Scape 2)

- I love the slope down on the left island!

- I think the little finger sticking out on the top will leave an unattractive and distracting shadow.

- Not sure I like the "trailing off" piece on the right island - makes it seem a little too symmetrical IMO.

- I think the islands would look better closer together, similar to scape 1.

So ultimately for me I would start with scape 2, push the islands in a little, maybe move the right island forward. I could find a different position or chisel off the finger on the left island overhang. Finally I would move the rubble in front of the right island to be scattered around the island instead. Just not a fan of both islands doing the trail off thing.

Honestly though, opinions aside these are all looking nice, I suppose it's all about waiting for that "aha!" moment, or just winging it and going for what looks good enough because eventually it will probably settle in.

gypsyzNthievz

That medred build is one of my inspirations too. I sort of got a cliff thing going on in my tank. When i put together my aquascape i looked at each piece from all angles. I looked for the best features on each rock and faced it forward towards me. I then stacked them regardless of how they fit or sat on top of another. Epoxy helped me keep the angles/positions i wanted and made them sit and stick. I wanted to use rods but I didn't have the tools.

I do like your latest pictured aquascape and think you should go for that one. Have fun!

Messed around a little more with the scape added some more ledges and couple of potential ric islands

0C535CFB-5B08-4206-8B0A-207282B37C71_zps

I like this a lot

One idea/suggestion would be the tips of those rocks that come toward the front of the tank would be to have them parallel to each other instead of coming toward each other. I am assuming the middle of the tank will be negative space, usually when leading lines point toward each other its to someone you want to centerpiece.

Also try playing with the distance from front to back of the rocks . Probably best done in the tank though to make sure you got clearance from the tank walls.

Archived