Cultivated Reef

a marine plant like no other

kappa

Sorry i tried to take pictures, but it is too small and far away to take a picture of.

these are daisys 09357.jpg

Like no plant that I have seen on the forums. A plant that looks like a daisy with lines that radiate from the center of the disc outward. It appears to have pedals like a daisy, and the flower like plant is 3mm in size, growing out of 4-5 mm long stems.

I have about 20 of them growing out of the same rock.

Marine Dandelions. Remove them before they release their spores and pollute your tank.

Oh, or, they're featherdusters.

I prefer choice number one though.

not a feather duster for sure. sigh. Now what? how do I remove them?

Do they go under any other name? I am doing a search for them on google.

okay since you told me they must be removed, I tore one out to take a closer picture. Under 50/50 lighting the plant is white with yellow dot in the center. When I take it out of the water, it is actually all green. Here is the photo

8259marine_flower2-med.jpg

serjuanca88

09002.JPG

"Said to have minor use as food and as a treatment for gallstones. Also used as an aquarium plant."

"Many species of this interesting genus are called "mermaid's wineglass" because of their distinctive shape. These plants are typically about 5 cm high with a "cup" about 1 cm in diameter. Plants may be partially calcified. Each "stem" and "cup" is actually a single large cell."

so, is it safe to keep or no? looks kinda cool.

Thanks for the info, that is exactly it, don't know why some say it is a a zooanthid. Thanks alot, I are reading up on mermaid's wineglass.

serjuanca88

Well assuming that this quote is accurate:

"Said to have minor use as food and as a treatment for gallstones. Also used as an aquarium plant."

Then it is safe to eat as well as put in your aquarium.

Lol, nice find! I'd keep them in there.. And when they are growing uncontrollably, you could send some cuttings to me! I wont eat them I promise! hehe

Originally posted by bobbyb323

Wow, salad fixings right in your reef tank. Hope those So. Cal. granola crunchers don't find out.

Uuuuuuhhh, that would be oregon granola munchers, we are more of a PowerBar / Frappacino type. Those look like they might be good as a garnish, but that's about it.

I use to eat bannana power bars, but the only place I get them at is Orange coast college. They had the power bars replaced with some other energy bar that advertises to taste delicious with 20 grams of protein. The one I had tried was wild berry cheese cake, it tasted like chalky cheese cake crust all the way through the bar.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW lucky you!!!! those are acetabularia spp. they're fragile and can be taken over by hairlike algae, they need good lighting and relatively low water flow, they are a beautiful plant and they're rare...congratulations

Nemo_4_Ever

I have noodle like things in my tank, they seem to pop out from a little clam like part of the rock. Its a little opening like a moth and it pops out every now and then. It looks like a cluster a little bit but more gummy like. It's white and pinky color. Know what it is? Its very small.

Archived