Innovative Marine Aquariums

40b Rockscape - opinions please

ajmckay

I recently started a tank with pukani from BRS. I soaked it in vinegar/ RODI for a few days. I would consider doing that if you haven't. There is a lot of dead material on the rock, and it will leach phosphates if not removed/ broken down. My cycle also took much longer than my other tank that was started with cured live rock, which is to be expected.

I recently started a tank with pukani from BRS. I soaked it in vinegar/ RODI for a few days. I would consider doing that if you haven't. There is a lot of dead material on the rock, and it will leach phosphates if not removed/ broken down. My cycle also took much longer than my other tank that was started with cured live rock, which is to be expected.

Yeah my prep was similar. I boiled the rocks for 10-15 minutes each then I gave them a 100% vinegar bath for another 10 minutes (followed by a dip in water and baking soda to neutralize the acid) and finally I thoroughly hosed them off outside using the highest pressure I can get from a garden hose.

Immediately after adding the rock I got a severe bacterial bloom and the water got pretty nasty. I seeded the tank by rinsing off the sponge from the filter on another tank (the sponge had a bunch of slimy bacterial build up on it - perfect for seeding). The bloom lasted a little less than a week and now it's pretty clear. I haven't tested the water yet but I think things are moving along. There is still some dead stuff coming off the rock but I'm turkey basting it every day and sucking up any larger chunks of stuff that falls off or gets blown out.

Archived