SaltCritters.com

MatthewDVM's Fluval Edge - Happy Birth-tank-day

Matthewdvm

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The firefight survived the night and took more cyclops tonight for dinner. Totally enjoyable little guy to watch swimming around. He's picked out a couple of nice spots in the rock work to hide. I'm totally jazzed to have picked him up!

Hanging out in front of his crib:

DSC08537.jpg

He also seems to enjoy loops in front of the monti cap

DSC08590.jpg

DSC08591.jpg

The mint chocolate chip Zoa was nicely open tonight (before I took slowtwitch's advice and fed it some cyclops).

DSC08543.jpg

And Duncan got all fat and sassy on his meal, too:

DSC08567.jpg

(Note to self: gotta clean the glass better before the photo shoot)

The Purple Firefish Has a name! She shall hereto forth be known as "Sonya 7". My wife saw the head first picture of Sonya on Instagram, and i had tagged it #sonya7 for the camera I used to take the picture. She asked, "Why did you name the fish Sonya 7?" I thought it was too good a name to pass up on, especially with a story like that!

New FTS:

DSC08604.jpg

The left side (lighting not great to show off the mushrooms:

DSC08610.jpg

And the never before seen right wall (usually there is a printer blocking camera access)

DSC08612.jpg

A couple of quick (cool) updates:

Sonya 7 is doing well in her new home, but has a weird habit. She likes to sleep up at the top of the tank, where the side and the top glass meet, lying on her side. First time I saw it, it sort of freaked me out. Still think it is weird, but she seems to be doing well otherwise:

8E746A0F-6D70-4DBB-AB54-B048D0085F06.jpg

Also, when I was feeding last night, I noticed that the Duncan has grown some hard skeleton between the higher up original head and the 5 new heads around it! No picture of it last night, but maybe I'll get one today. I think it is starting to grow some new heads around the lower of the original heads, too!

A couple more quick iPhone shots

The backside of the Duncan, showing the new bony growth:

935477DF-8DD7-454C-9BE4-A44247404106.jpg

And the red monti cap is growing like gangbusters and is shadowing out my Supernova Zoas:

F235EACA-D38C-48EA-8757-B3C48894F339.jpg

Did a 100 mile bike ride for a veterinary charity that provides funding for non-elective medical care for the pets of the disabled, elderly and women at risk of abuse today, so I don't have much energy for a big update, but as I sat vegging, watching Star Wars with the kids post ride, the tank was looking too cool to ignore, so a few quick pictures from today:

Micromusa finally looking settled it. Hope I don't have to move it, though it is looking a little threatened from the month cap):

DSC08847.jpg

Green and purple Yuma:

DSC08843.jpg

Clove polyps (showing off the dark secret of my flatworm infestation - waiting for the lfs to get in a blue velvet nudibranch to try to eat them all)

DSC08841.jpg

Mixed Zoa Rock, really digging the new lighting

DSC08838.jpg

Leopard disco shroom

DSC08829.jpg

Red metallic flower pot goniopora, really seems to be liking where it was placed, and really looking good

DSC08827.jpg

"Salvador", the 3 mouthed, multi-coloured ric that initially looked like a melting clock face. He also seems to like the new lighting

DSC08825.jpg

Duncan showing some nice polyp extension, and the beginnings of new polyps on the lower head

DSC08822.jpg

The Thre Tenors! 3 of the original corals for the tank, a trio of hairy green mushrooms. Not sure why they went all funnel shaped tonight. But I think they would like more light...

DSC08821.jpg

And finally, the orange and blue Yuma under actinics

DSC08817.jpg

Nice photos Doc. And a Century ride! Congrats. First one? What bike do you ride?

This was my 6th year of doing this Century ride. It's a great group that does it, and is pretty mellow as far as these things go. I ride a Cervello R3 Team from a few years back (Ultegra components)

This was my 6th year of doing this Century ride. It's a great group that does it, and is pretty mellow as far as these things go. I ride a Cervello R3 Team from a few years back (Ultegra components)

Nice bike! I've done a few century rides "for fun". Used to ride a ton for triathlon now mostly run.

Nice bike! I've done a few century rides "for fun". Used to ride a ton for triathlon now mostly run.

I enjoy playing in the water for fun, but don't really enjoy swimming for exercise, and I'd rather lie down in the middle of the road and get run over by an 18-wheeler than run, so triathlons are not for me, I don't think!

I enjoy playing in the water for fun, but don't really enjoy swimming for exercise, and I'd rather lie down in the middle of the road and get run over by an 18-wheeler than run, so triathlons are not for me, I don't think!

If I could just swim and run I'd be happier. I like to bike but not as much as the other two events.

A couple of quick (cool) updates:

Sonya 7 is doing well in her new home, but has a weird habit. She likes to sleep up at the top of the tank, where the side and the top glass meet, lying on her side. First time I saw it, it sort of freaked me out. Still think it is weird, but she seems to be doing well otherwise:

8E746A0F-6D70-4DBB-AB54-B048D0085F06.jpg

Also, when I was feeding last night, I noticed that the Duncan has grown some hard skeleton between the higher up original head and the 5 new heads around it! No picture of it last night, but maybe I'll get one today. I think it is starting to grow some new heads around the lower of the original heads, too!

Nice tank :). The purple filefish will be my third fish in my tank.

My clowns sleep in the same spot as your fish... it's a bit disturbing at first, but then I stopped worrying :)

Nice tank :). The purple filefish will be my third fish in my tank.

My clowns sleep in the same spot as your fish... it's a bit disturbing at first, but then I stopped worrying :)

Thanks! I'm pleased with how the tank is looking!

The purple firefish is a very cool fish, indeed.

Great pictures! Everything is looking great. And yes, it definitely looks like you can look forward to more duncan babies :wub:

Thanks teeny! I have a bunch of corals that are taking off. Really pleased with how things are going. Even the stung Acan, which has been looking pretty crappy is coming back!

And in completely other news, I ripped all the moss out of my FW tank (it had gotten so thick that the bottom half was decomposing and feeding a bloom of thread algae at the top of it), and went and got a few new taller plants and a bunch of new fish (8 thread fin rainbows, 6 small corys and 4 rili shrimp) at the LFS. When I showed my wife the new purchases, she said "you need more fish!" Just one of the many reasons I love her...

Thanks teeny! I have a bunch of corals that are taking off. Really pleased with how things are going. Even the stung Acan, which has been looking pretty crappy is coming back!

And in completely other news, I ripped all the moss out of my FW tank (it had gotten so thick that the bottom half was decomposing and feeding a bloom of thread algae at the top of it), and went and got a few new taller plants and a bunch of new fish (8 thread fin rainbows, 6 small corys and 4 rili shrimp) at the LFS. When I showed my wife the new purchases, she said "you need more fish!" Just one of the many reasons I love her...

Ha - that's awesome! I need to update my FW tank, too. Just removed a bunch of overgrown plants and I need new fish too!

Thanks. I'm on mobile and a lazy Bastard.

Great tank

Thanks. It's coming along. Feel like after 9 months I am starting to figure things out. Not many things, and not too figured out, just a little bit.

Ha - that's awesome! I need to update my FW tank, too. Just removed a bunch of overgrown plants and I need new fish too!

Do you have a FW tank thread somewhere? I don't (one active forum is about all I can handle)

A few pictures tonight of the less stellar, but beginning to improve stuff I mentioned earlier.

A long while ago (8 months?) I bought a nice fat happy frag of Tubb's Blues. I liked it a lot, but didn't know where to put it, and could never find somewhere happy for it. For some reason, I kept thinking it was getting too much light, so I moved it and moved it and it went to darker and darker places and began to close up and stay closed and then it shrank. Finally, I decided last week to move it to the bottom from, where all my other zoas and palys are thriving. And tonight I noticed the first couple of open polyps on it in months!

DSC08914.jpg

It has some bugs crawling on it (see left side of the picture), but they don't seem to be bothering other corals, so hopefully these guys won't be bothered either:

DSC08915.jpg

My one and only Acan was doing great until I moved it and something stung it. It never really did too well after that, but I think it is now in a good spot, too, and the flesh is coming back. This is not that good a picture of it, but it is in a bit of a tricky spot for photos.

DSC08864.jpg

I knocked a 1.5 inch semi circle out of the front edge of the monti cap, and the Zoa is soaking up the sun in its absence. The inadvertent frags have been crazy glued to the back of the tank - we'll see if they take off there:

DSC08865.jpg

And, finally, my latest attempt at SPS - I got this birds nest frag about 10 days ago. Good polyp extension, but no growth yet, that I can see. Here's hoping it does better than the ones I bought 9 months ago!

DSC08860.jpg

Archived