ReefCleaners.org

3 foot long Mr. Aqua 12 Gal. With Sump. (MEDIA REACTOR HELP!)

Najay343

Thanks for commenting on my thread, and linking me to yours. Nice tank. I always thought the drill press would be way more money then that. like $100 bucks. I guess if I was a cheeky bastard I could use it and return it to home depot. ._.

I was thinking about maybe doing one central hole for a drain, then 2 returns on each side. (all on the back of the tank, the returns would be where your drain/return is, and my drain would be central. Thus extinguishing the need for a powerhead?)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for commenting on my thread, and linking me to yours. Nice tank. I always thought the drill press would be way more money then that. like $100 bucks. I guess if I was a cheeky bastard I could use it and return it to home depot. ._.

I was thinking about maybe doing one central hole for a drain, then 2 returns on each side. (all on the back of the tank, the returns would be where your drain/return is, and my drain would be central. Thus extinguishing the need for a powerhead?)

Yea that would prolly work. I had planned on putting an mp10 in for flow. Just can afford atm. Most recently I added a loc-line hose and am going to split it into 2 heads. Still messing with flow.

Sweet job so far. How did you get the tank for $60 at your LFS? Buying mine at MD is gonna run me $135 for the low iron version lol.

No idea, I am really lucky I have 3 different salt water stores all withing 5 min of my house. None of them have the same price for anything. Two are selling this tank for $79 and I got mine and the third place for $59. I honestly bought it after I saw a demo of it they had set up. This one was sitting on a shelf above the demo and they were havering a huge sale that day so $59 makes a little sense. I didn't even buy it the same day I went home and came up with plans and went back and got it two days later still same price Considering the other two were $79. I say it just the other day at a LFS I have never gone to and it was for $135. I was shocked. This tank was on amazon for $89 so I feel like anything over $100 is a scam lol.

This looks awesome what are the coral plans?

Currently I just have some green star polyps, a larger green polyp and a some sort of Palm tree polyp. All $5 and if all goes well they are gonna take up a bit of space. I would like to get one or two more different color variations of the cheep $5 corals. I'd like a couple mushrooms a hammerhead or frogspawn as well and last a RBTA.

Currently I just have some green star polyps, a larger green polyp and a some sort of Palm tree polyp. All $5 and if all goes well they are gonna take up a bit of space. I would like to get one or two more different color variations of the cheep $5 corals. I'd like a couple mushrooms a hammerhead or frogspawn as well and last a RBTA.

Tank looks great so far! Be careful with those green start polyps....they'll overtake your WHOLE tank. They're harder to get rid of than algae. I've seen them overgrow zoo frags and such. I had them in my first tank and I will NEVER do it again. Just my $.02.

No idea, I am really lucky I have 3 different salt water stores all withing 5 min of my house. None of them have the same price for anything. Two are selling this tank for $79 and I got mine and the third place for $59. I honestly bought it after I saw a demo of it they had set up. This one was sitting on a shelf above the demo and they were havering a huge sale that day so $59 makes a little sense. I didn't even buy it the same day I went home and came up with plans and went back and got it two days later still same price Considering the other two were $79. I say it just the other day at a LFS I have never gone to and it was for $135. I was shocked. This tank was on amazon for $89 so I feel like anything over $100 is a scam lol.

Interesting. The normal glass version is 97 I think, I could see low iron being worth 33% more. Maybe I'll check with some of my LFS before I buy it lol but I don't think any of them have it.

Tank looks great so far! Be careful with those green start polyps....they'll overtake your WHOLE tank. They're harder to get rid of than algae. I've seen them overgrow zoo frags and such. I had them in my first tank and I will NEVER do it again. Just my $.02.

That's funny lol, I had a drag of them for a it 8 months and never could get it to grow at all. My acros, birdsnests, zoas etc all grow like crazy but GSP just didn't ever grow for me, at all lol.

Interesting. The normal glass version is 97 I think, I could see low iron being worth 33% more. Maybe I'll check with some of my LFS before I buy it lol but I don't think any of them have it.

That's funny lol, I had a drag of them for a it 8 months and never could get it to grow at all. My acros, birdsnests, zoas etc all grow like crazy but GSP just didn't ever grow for me, at all lol.

Consider yourself lucky! LOL

Do they grow across the sand bed very well? I think I'll just put them on a small rock in the middle away from the glass and other rocks

I didn't know there was more than one version on the Mr. Aqua 12 long. I mean if mine is regular glass it is still crystal clear. I did notice the length sides of the take do bow a little bit when completely full. I found that cuz I was having a hell of a time finding a cover lol.

1.5 months old

1.5 months old

Pictures of the tank today. Everything is perfect so far. Clownfish are still happy. GF hasn't let me name them yet as she wants to make sure they survive a month first. WHY WOULDN'T THEY?!?! lol. I can't seem to get the water crystal clean so I am debating adding a UV light. Any thoughts. Also MP10wES will be here next week.

I did have carbon in my sump but it must have been

Are you running any carbon in your sump? If not, that'd help clear up that water bud.

I did have some carbon in the sump and it must have been too turbulent because it turned everything in my tank black

Pictures of the tank today. Everything is perfect so far. Clownfish are still happy. GF hasn't let me name them yet as she wants to make sure they survive a month first. WHY WOULDN'T THEY?!?! lol. I can't seem to get the water crystal clean so I am debating adding a UV light. Any thoughts. Also MP10wES will be here next week.

Don't name them they'll die the next day.

You'll need to run low flow in the carbon, otherwise it grinds up and turns into a horrible black powder.

You can also go with a reactor for the carbon. It's a bit more expensive though.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find or make my own carbon canister to put above my filter sponge. Needs to be 4x10" not knowing any better before I had just out carbon directly into a filter sock and the tank looked great for 2-3 days, on the fourth day though, black, everything lol. Or maybe there is a carbon pad similar to the nitrate pad I use...

Approaching 2 months old. The tank in doing great. I have two clown siblings that I got from a local breeder. They have been in the tank about a week. Didn't even phase my tank. Ammonia is still reading 0. I am having a hard time feeding the fish. I didn't have the cash on hand to buy the food the breeder was feeding them. I have been giving them about 4 different options of stuff to eat though. From frozen to pellets to flakes and freeze-dried brine. If anyone has any recommendation on that would be great. They are eating just not as much as I would like them to. Currently feeding once a day and sometime every other. One fish was smaller than the other but now they are both the same size cuz the smaller one is definitely eating noticeably more than the bigger one. I can only tell them apart because the smaller one doesn't have as much black on its tail fin. Not a mated pair. Although I am curious, could that happen if they are siblings?

MP10wES arrived today. I decided to rearrange the flow of the tank. I put the MP10 on the back in the middle. Looks like good water movement throughout the whole tank. On another note I am going against the grain on this one but a private seller on CL is giving away 2 Bubble Tip Anemones for free to get rid of them. Although my tank is only 2 months old I'm gonna go ahead and take up the offer. Its the same species of BTA that I had in my Biocube when it was less than a month old and didn't know any better but I was very successful with it for at least 8 months before leaving it in the hand of my GF while I went to fight the WA wildfires. Bless her for trying and going out of her way to go to my place at the time to feed the fish but she left the lights on for two weeks straight not knowing they weren't on a timer and that messed things up. I am also getting some frogspawn for $5 from the same guy and I think that will pretty much complete all the corals I will be adding for some time. Currently I am at 1 week since my last water change and everything is still great and perimeters are perfect. Im gonna see if I can drag it out 3 more days. Update to follow :)

Well I got home with the new BTA and Frogspawn. Luckily for me they came attached to some lovely pukani that fits perfectly in my tank full of pukani! :D So I threw them in without even touching them. I also got some hard coral and another assorted mushroom. All four things opened up instantly when placing them in my tank. Gonna do a 30% water change tomorrow and not touch the tank for a week.

Well I got home with the new BTA and Frogspawn. Luckily for me they came attached to some lovely pukani that fits perfectly in my tank full of pukani! :D So I threw them in without even touching them. I also got some hard coral and another assorted mushroom. All four things opened up instantly when placing them in my tank. Gonna do a 30% water change tomorrow and not touch the tank for a week.

Pics or it didn't happen...

Pics or it didn't happen...

Frogspawn

Bubble Tip Anemone

Please ID

assorted mushrooms

You did not dip these corals? Hope every goes well. What setting are your lights on and time schedule?

Nope. I will in the future. Not much to loose right now. Everything in my tank is basically from 2 tanks. I will definitely in the future as I've added pretty much most everything I plan to for awhile. I just use the standard setting on my CurrentUSA LED. Sunrise at 8am sunset at 6pm and then actinic stay on for an hour.

Much better. haha. I'm loving that red mushroom and the bubble tip. I feel like that size is perfect for a nano tank as it gives you a lot of time while it grows into the area instead of immediately taking everything over.

Much better. haha. I'm loving that red mushroom and the bubble tip. I feel like that size is perfect for a nano tank as it gives you a lot of time while it grows into the area instead of immediately taking everything over.

The red mushroom and especially the Ultra-blue one behind it are awesome. they are kinda upset though cuz i moved them around a lot today and then they got blown around after I added the mp10. I finally found them a good place. The BTA is perfect. It came on a huge rock the size of my two larger rocks in the tank. My hope is to get him to move off on his own. Its moved about a half inch since I put it in. Right now it is in a spot the clownfish don't swim around very much.

The red mushroom and especially the Ultra-blue one behind it are awesome. they are kinda upset though cuz i moved them around a lot today and then they got blown around after I added the mp10. I finally found them a good place. The BTA is perfect. It came on a huge rock the size of my two larger rocks in the tank. My hope is to get him to move off on his own. Its moved about a half inch since I put it in. Right now it is in a spot the clownfish don't swim around very much.

Good luck. Next weekend I'm heading to a frag swap and I may end up picking up a BTA. In regards to the mushrooms, it's nice seeing them in those bright colors. Normally I only see the drab purplish ones.

Archived