Coral Vue Hydros

Lone clown fish, will it become female? (maroon)

Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey

I just got a maroon clown. I knew it could get up to 6", but the LFS told me it could be male or female; 50/50 chance.

Now, a couple of questions:

First, i've heard that a lone unsexed or male clown will become female if left by itself. Is this true?

Second, if it is female or becomes female, how long will it take for it to outgrow my 29 gallon (2.5 to 3 inches)?

yes. all are male when they are small, then switch to female once they reach a certain size. this sexual morphing is very common among fish, and even some groups of amphibians. however, if a smaller male fish is in a pair with a large female, it will remain small, and thus, a male.

i personally think even a full grown maroon will be fine in a 29gal.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think it is safe to presume that a larger (female) would take to a smaller (male) or will it most likely end in disaster?

this could easily spell disaster, although it can been done. i think usually the male is introduced in a specimen container where it can see and be seen by the female, as well as interact on a limited basis without being killed. after a week or so, the male is released and hopefully not killed by the female.

Archived