Cultivated Reef

Salt-what brand do you use?

parhead

Have tried Kent, Reef Crystals, and one other that I can't recall the name of. I use Tropic Marin now and think it is fantastic stuff.

Instant Ocean.  Used to use Reef Crystals, but A) Not available in town, B) More expensive and I'm not convinced that there's really much more calcium etc, in it.

I've been hearing good things about the Tropic Marin stuff though.  Might give it a try when this bag of IO runs out.

USe Reef Crystals.  My LFS says its the best one and he uses on his tanks at home (I dont buy salt from him, I get it online).

It does take a while to mix though.

I might use IO for a while see how it is.

Just wanted to say that I have seen similar threads on other boards and generally Instant Ocean is the most used brand of salt.  And mostly there is good views about it.

Nishant3789

reeef crystals are actually made by instant ocean. I have heard many people say this isnt as good as some of the other salts out there and that instant ocean is better. personally i use Red sea cuz its a litlle cheaper here and it mixes easily. though i m not sure how mnuch to addd per gallon.... hth

nishant

Funny this should come up, as the whole Instant Ocean vs. Reef Crystals debate has been in my head lately.

Here is the deal... http://www.aquariumsystems.com/salts.htm

Now, I use the Reef Crystals, and I do love it. That salt does seem to keep my calcium at around ~400 on my 10gal, but when I use the RO water from my LFS,

(enhanced with Instant Ocean) the calcium isn't as high.

I'd like to know more about the differences between the two, in a practical sense. Although the Reef Crystals seem to have "extra" calcium in it, it doesn't brighten up the coraline any. I still dose to 500 for the coraline and my hard corals, right now.

Anyone? or maybe an email to Aquarium Systems is in order, for additional technical information.

(Edited by SaltyDog at 2:15 am on June 19, 2002)

Guest AbSoluTc

Used to use IO - but I recently had to use TM because they did not have IO.  I will never go back!

TM is finer and dissolves oh so much better!

Archived