SaltCritters.com

damsels

chufa

I recently set up my tank. it is cycling now with LS/LR. I wanted to add a yellow tail damsel in a couple of weeks to complete the cycle. I've been told at the LFS they are very hardy and good for cycling. Plus, they are pretty and extremely cheap. And they also told me it is an unaggresive damsel as well.

But down the road, I would love to keep a clown. My question is: will the yellow tail damsel get along with a clown in a 12G tank? Can a clown survive without other clowns? Or is it better to return the damsel and get two clowns instead? I don't think I could keep all three (2 clowns and a damsel) in this small tank.

NanoReefer53

nope, i doubt it's possible. In only 12g, there won't be enough space and the damsel for sure will get territorial and aggresive then beat down the clown.

If your only reason in getting the damsel is to complete the cycle there is no need. Tanks can cycle perfectly well with just rock and sand....no fish NEEDED.

If you really want the damsel I would wait and try to add the clown and damsel at the same time to eliminate any possible territorial disputes.

If I was you i'd wait and add 2 clowns :P. I'd look at percuals or skunks. They will not outgrow the tank unlike sebaes or clarkiis will.

Cameron

Yes they usually are but nano tanks have brought a whole new definition to territory or should I say lack there of. It isn't likely but if it happens the damsel is likely the victor :o

Cameron

If your main purpose for the damsel is to help aid in the cycling of the tank, do not buy it. Just wait for the cycle to be complete and just purchase your two clowns.

I actually like the damsel. Ideally, I would want to keep one damsel and one clown. But if this isn't going to work then I'll have to decide between one or the other. But I have time to decide, I plan to not add fish for a month.

What you can do is wait until the cycle is done then add the clown first. Wait several weeks then add the yellow tail. I have both of these fish in a 20g high and the clown I've had for almost 2 years, but I added the damsel several months ago. They get along fine....the clown is boss although the damsel does defend his sleeping spot. He won't let anything near "his" rock, not even the shrimp! BTW, the clown is a percula. It won't hurt either if you make sure the damsel is smaller than the clown when you buy it.

HTH

Archived