Pod Your Reef

Simulation Locations?

sNEIRBO

What are some good locations to use for simulation? Looking for locations that are not always sunny ... would like to see some clouds and thunderstorms.

jedimasterben

Thunderstorms aren't going to be common except for specific times of year in some tropical locations. Mine is set to Bora Bora and I've only had a single thunderstorm since setting it up (I'm one of the beta testers so I've had it set up for a few months longer than others). Clouds happen on a daily basis, though.

I asked, because I figured there were places on the Planet that probably had very few thunderstorms - I had heard that some of the tropical locations in the Pacific have beautiful weather almost all year long, with very few storms. My first instinct was go with someplace like Key West FL, Jamaica or the Great Barrier Reef.

I just found this - (World Lightning Strike Map) - looks like the Caribbean is probably a good place to pick once I get my Bluefish controller.

If you like a lot of lightning it looks like the Congo is the place to pick!

Still curious where everyone has their location set ...

• 4 weeks later...

hi if I set my location to malaysia. The time there is about 13 hours ahead so my question is will it follow the time there ? Cos if there is a storm there during the day it would be in the middle of the night here. I am totally lost with this Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Reefin Ric Flair

The weather is in real time. If you choose to use dynamic photoperiod, the sunrise/sunset times are pulled in your location's local time. You can find more info in the manual: https://aquarium-led-controller.com/user-guide/#sunriseSunset and you can view all location info in the Simulation screen. Hope that helps!

I'm brand new to this so forgive my ignorance. I have a bluefish coming with my nanobox duo soon and I will be enjoying my tank in the evening. Checking out the manual says I should use option A (sunrise only) under the dynamic photo period. Will I be manually setting the variable sunrise value as well as the night start time? The goal in my head is to apply real weather simulation from locations so it takes place in my local time. Could you explain this to me like I'm 4 years old (because that's not too far from the truth)?

jedimasterben

I'm brand new to this so forgive my ignorance. I have a bluefish coming with my nanobox duo soon and I will be enjoying my tank in the evening. Checking out the manual says I should use option A (sunrise only) under the dynamic photo period. Will I be manually setting the variable sunrise value as well as the night start time? The goal in my head is to apply real weather simulation from locations so it takes place in my local time. Could you explain this to me like I'm 4 years old (because that's not too far from the truth)?

Enable natural sun, dynamic sunrise AND sunset. Then go to "Extras" in the app and change your time zone. Do this either at the beginning of when you want the lights to turn on OR at the end of it when you want them off. Change your time zone until the lights are just starting to come on, or just turning off.

Reefin Ric Flair

Enable natural sun, dynamic sunrise AND sunset. Then go to "Extras" in the app and change your time zone. Do this either at the beginning of when you want the lights to turn on OR at the end of it when you want them off. Change your time zone until the lights are just starting to come on, or just turning off.

Thanks for the help! I can't wait to get my hands on it and become proficient. It is the coolest device and one of the main reasons I wanted to get a tank

SpencerShepard

You'll need to set a morning and night start time regardless of dynamic photoperiod. If you use option A (Sunrise Sim on and Sunset Sim off), then your lights will always go off at your set Night Start time. Your lights will come on at a time so that the photoperiod matches your simulated location, which changes daily. So your morning start time is ignored with option A.

You can always check the Simulated Location screen to see what's going on:

iOS-Simulator-Screen-shot-Apr-26-2014-11

I do not have either Sunrise or Sunset dynamic photperiod enabled, so "My real sunrise/sunset" times are what I've set for Morning and Night start times. Enabling either or both of the dynamic photoperiod options will change these times. A little sun icon appears next to sunrise or sunset time to indicate that dynamic photoperiod is influencing your schedule.

Reefin Ric Flair

You'll need to set a morning and night start time regardless of dynamic photoperiod. If you use option A (Sunrise Sim on and Sunset Sim off), then your lights will always go off at your set Night Start time. Your lights will come on at a time so that the photoperiod matches your simulated location, which changes daily. So your morning start time is ignored with option A.

You can always check the Simulated Location screen to see what's going on:

iOS-Simulator-Screen-shot-Apr-26-2014-11

I do not have either Sunrise or Sunset dynamic photperiod enabled, so "My real sunrise/sunset" times are what I've set for Morning and Night start times. Enabling either or both of the dynamic photoperiod options will change these times. A little sun icon appears next to sunrise or sunset time to indicate that dynamic photoperiod is influencing your schedule.

Thanks for the help. I think it will make more sense one I get my hands on it

SpencerShepard

While there's nothing wrong with doing this (at least until timers come for the powerbar), it is just a bit weird. You can shift the photoperiod to where you need it without changing timezones.

jedimasterben

While there's nothing wrong with doing this (at least until timers come for the powerbar), it is just a bit weird. You can shift the photoperiod to where you need it without changing timezones.

But you can't get both dyanamic rise AND set without it :)

(unless that is something new)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you set your location to Glendora,California you will see the station named "Historic District", at least I did, that is my weather station. It is located on the roof of my home. When set to my station my tank lets me know what the weather is without looking outside. I can see the clouds go by or know its sunny out, which it is most of the time. We had a thunderstorm and lightening a few weeks ago. I didn't see the tank do any lightning effects, of course the real lightning lit everything up anyway. B)

Archived