Coral Vue Hydros

10 gallon corals...........

littlereefer_1

littlereefer_1

Hi guys,

I started a 10 gallon mini reef. Just for future reference, what are some good corals to keep in a 10 gallon tank??? The only coral I have on my list right now, is the Starburst green polyp coral. Would this be alright??? A list would be helpful

I appreciate your responses

There is no set "list". i say you decide what you like then we can answer.

Yes, star polyps would be fine. Tell us how much light you have.

littlereefer_1

Right now what I have in mind is Elegance coral, polyps, spaghetti finger leather(and other leather corals), tree coral, Hairy mushroom coral. That is just to name a few corals, that interest me.

No elegance coral. Period. Go to the coral section and check out the sticky as the first post.

Light is very good, you can keep lots. All those you listed after elegance are great. You can do candycane coral, blastomussa, brain corals, euphyllias (torch, hammer etc), ricordia, plate coral, fungias, toadstools, gorgonias, alveoporas, star/glove/clove polyps, zoanthids. Heck, you may even be able to get away with some forgiving sps like montipora or acropora... maybe!

Go to places like liveaquaria.com - there are many sites - and just look around. Hunt for coral sites using the search key and find more sources. You have tons of options, the ony thing limiting you will be space.

You may even be able to pull of a bubble tip anemone with that light.

You are going to be set! Now tell us how you are cycing and what other hardware you are using.

littlereefer_1

As of right now, I'm in Day 17 of the project. I justed added the rest of my live rock yesterday. Have 17 pounds total. I am running a AC300 as a fuge, but am waiting on some cheato macro right now. The fuge is all setup with sand and rubble in it currently. I am running a seacone 100, two mini jet 404's, and a 50 watt pro heat heater. I also have a ph monitor in this system.

littlereefer_1

oh, and another thing. The only inhabitant besides invertebrates I plan on having is a clown. Do you really think I could get away with keeping a bubble tip anemone????

littlereefer_1

For the 24 inch 15 gallon tank many people recommend going to a metal halide. Is the coralife 20 inch 96 watt light, the best option that I have(for the 10)?? I mean I dont want to "cook" my tank. Why such a jump though from the 10 nano to the 15????

Originally posted by littlereefer_1

For the 24 inch 15 gallon tank many people recommend going to a metal halide.  Is the coralife 20 inch 96 watt light, the best option that I have(for the 10)?? I mean I dont want to "cook" my tank.  Why such a jump though from the 10 nano to the 15????

check the front page setup, nice setup with much less light then the coralife 20"

If you really don't want mh, then I think 2x65 coralife is a better option, its 24" but you have two bulbs and you can create nice lights specs,

and don't worry about cooking your tank, I have 175w mh, on my 10g, and I don't see that much of a difference between temps, when comparing to a coralife,

people said, 15g mh, cause its deeper, mh are great when dealing with deep tanks, mh are not needed but good because it suppose to recreate the sun much better, and will be able to give you more flexibility on the thing you want to keep in your tank,

well good luck

sam

Originally posted by littlereefer_1

Could you give me a site where I can get a good metal halide light 150 watt that will fit my 10 gallon?

HI there,

well, hellolights.com, have good deal, and don't forget to check around might find something at a great price,

I just got a 175w mh for $50, complete, and love the light, much better than pc, and now I know that I can keep almost anything concerning light,

good luck,

sam

Archived