SaltCritters.com

NanoBox flickering since going to Bluefish

Mirya

I'm making the switch from Storm controlling to Bluefish controlling of my Nanoboxes. I don't want to freak out my corals. To translate my Storm settings to Bluefish is it just as simple as dividing my Storm setting by 255 to get the percentage for on Bluefish?

EG My storm settings are Blue channel 105, white channel 85. So I assume that would make my Bluefish setting blue 41% and white 33%?

OK, next question...

I have a NanoBox Mini and a NanoBox Quad running off my Bluefish. Dave made an adapter for me to plug the NanoBox cables into to get it to plug into the Bluefish. Since I have done this, the blue channel in my Quad flickers. It never did this on the Storm. The flickering gets more apparent at low percentages of light. It doesn't matter which order I plug my Mini and Quad into the adapter, the flickering persists.

If I plug the Quad plug into the leftmost pins in the adapter and the Mini in the next set of pins I get this channel set-up:

Channel 1: Quad Blues

Channel 2: Quad Whites

Channel 3: Quad Moon

Channel 4: Mini Blues

Channel 5: Mini Moon

Channel 6: Mini Whites

If I flip things, and plug the Mini plug into the leftmost pins in the adapter and the Quad in the next set of pins this is the channel set-up:

Channel 1: Mini Moon

Channel 2: Mini Blues

Channel 3: Mini Whites

Channel 4: Quad Whites

Channel 5: Quad Blues

Channel 6: Quad Moon

You'll note Channels 1 & 2 and 4 & 5 flip from what they are expected to be. My husband thinks this is a grounding issue in the wiring. IDK if that has anything to do with the flickering.

Anyways, my electricity-fu is weak, I'm looking for help! Thanks. :)

SpencerShepard

I think I will need some pictures of the adapter and setup in order to help. Feel free to email me spencer@blueworldaquariums.com

OK, next question...

I have a NanoBox Mini and a NanoBox Quad running off my Bluefish. Dave made an adapter for me to plug the NanoBox cables into to get it to plug into the Bluefish. Since I have done this, the blue channel in my Quad flickers. It never did this on the Storm. The flickering gets more apparent at low percentages of light. It doesn't matter which order I plug my Mini and Quad into the adapter, the flickering persists.

If I plug the Quad plug into the leftmost pins in the adapter and the Mini in the next set of pins I get this channel set-up:

Channel 1: Quad Blues

Channel 2: Quad Whites

Channel 3: Quad Moon

Channel 4: Mini Blues

Channel 5: Mini Moon

Channel 6: Mini Whites

If I flip things, and plug the Mini plug into the leftmost pins in the adapter and the Quad in the next set of pins this is the channel set-up:

Channel 1: Mini Moon

Channel 2: Mini Blues

Channel 3: Mini Whites

Channel 4: Quad Whites

Channel 5: Quad Blues

Channel 6: Quad Moon

You'll note Channels 1 & 2 and 4 & 5 flip from what they are expected to be. My husband thinks this is a grounding issue in the wiring. IDK if that has anything to do with the flickering.

Anyways, my electricity-fu is weak, I'm looking for help! Thanks. :)

Can you try only plugging in the QUAD ( leave the Mini off and NOT plugged in and see if this happens? ). Drop me an email, I know your equally as busy.

-Dave

I think I will need some pictures of the adapter and setup in order to help. Feel free to email me spencer@blueworldaquariums.com

Thanks Spencer. I'll drop you and Dave an e-mail.

I agree that it sounds like a grounding issue. Can you snap a pic of your LDD boards?

Is this the LLD board?

BlueFish_zpseb3276ac.jpg

If they are something within the lights themselves IDK that I am up to disassembling them.

Can you try only plugging in the QUAD ( leave the Mini off and NOT plugged in and see if this happens? ). Drop me an email, I know your equally as busy.

-Dave

Yup, still happens when only the QUAD is plugged in. I'm sending you and Spencer an e-mail.

You won't believe this Dave, but the reason I didn't get around til now to setting up the Bluefish is I broke my leg. Its just a stress fracture, but I spent the past 3 weeks completely non-weight bearing. Now I can start to toe-touch. Dealing with crutches has made tank maintenance are real b!^&*

jedimasterben

Is this the LLD board?

BlueFish_zpseb3276ac.jpg

If they are something within the lights themselves IDK that I am up to disassembling them.

No, that is the Bluefish board. The LDD board is in the little box connected to the main power supply. You would have had to open it up and connect the Bluefish wires to it.

You won't believe this Dave, but the reason I didn't get around til now to setting up the Bluefish is I broke my leg. Its just a stress fracture, but I spent the past 3 weeks completely non-weight bearing. Now I can start to toe-touch. Dealing with crutches has made tank maintenance are real b!^&*

Oh no! Hope you'll get over it quick! :)

Archived