SaltCritters.com

Hellolights 2x55watt PC

reefm@ster

First let me say that the folks at Hellolights are awesome. Incredible customer service.

Second I got 2x 55watt retro kit to compliment the CSL 2x 65watt kit I already had.

The Hellolights true 03 actinic is breathtaking.

29gal AGA sumpless

CPR Bakpak2 Skimmer

2 Maxijet 900 Powerheads

2x 65watt and 2x 55 watt PCs (240 watts total)

4" DSB

40lbs of live rock

From top to bottom

CLS 65watt 10K

Hellolights 55watt true 03 Actinic

Hellolights 55watt 10K

CLS 65watt 7100

I'm looking for 2x55's for my 20L.. which would you recommend? The CSL or the Hellolights, and how much were each one? I was thinking about getting 2x55's from Marinedepot for $109.. The brands called "Realux"...

Hellolights have an excellent 2x55watt retro kit. If you call the to order mention the $10 discount. Here is the FAQ on tue Actinic PC bulbs

*** FAQ:

Q. What's the difference between a "Blue 7,100K" and "Actinic 03" bulb?

A. Excellent question! OK, a little background: The original "Actinic 03" bulb was made by Phillips. They had several models, the Actinic 01, 03, 05, etc. They were not made for aquarium use, but were adopted once news spread about the beneficial aspects of using this bulb over reef tanks. Nowadays, "Actinic 03" has become the marketing term used to identify "blue" looking bulbs. Many bulbs are passed off as "actinic", when they are just a blue bulb.

So, to answer the question, Blue 7,100K bulbs are visually brighter than HelloLights Actinic bulbs. Blue bulbs will NOT fluoresce your animals as well as our Actinic bulbs. Many others sell "actinic", but they are really selling blue bulbs. The phosphors coating the interior of our Actinic bulbs are specially formulated to produce a narrow spike of concentrated violet/blue light. This is why they appear to be more faint than blue bulbs. If you have tons-o-corals, then we suggest going with Actinic 03. Remember, a visual measurement of a lights utility is a poor one.

I hope this helps

reef93,

I already ordered a canopy for my tank so those lights wouldn't work out in my setup.. thanks the help though. :)

Just tell them I heard it from reefcentral... cool, thanks!

Oh, one more thing... I was reading about the lights on hellolights website and it says the there's no on/off switch on the ballast? So if I were to plug it in, the lights would automatically just turn on?

here is the code: AU0802 and will expires end of this month. Or just call them will work too. There are no ON/OFF switch just plug into timer and you set.

THANKS for the photo! I've never seen the "pseudo" actinics next to something that was a "true" actinic, so I didn't really know what they looked like. This helps immensely.

Originally posted by NaNO ReeFiN

Oh, one more thing... I was reading about the lights on hellolights website and it says the there's no on/off switch on the ballast? So if I were to plug it in, the lights would automatically just turn on?

You need to set it on a timer.

I've had the 03 for Hellolights on my 2 x 55 watt fixture above my 5 1/2 for a month now and let me tell you, it has made a HUGE difference. The color is a little more purple, but the corals definately seem to like it better!

Reefmaster,

Congratulations on the lights. Sounds like a good buy. I also have a 29 gal that I am converting to a reef. (I currently have a 7 gal Minibow going for 4 months now....but it's not enough :) )

I am curious as to what kind of canopy you have the lights mounted into. Do you have any pics? Thanks.

Bonster

I was trying to get as much light as I could but trying to avoid heat related issues like fans and Expensive chillers.

With 240watts iget close to 10watts per gallon

*Only 25Gal because of 4" DSB

Beautiful setup. Looks BRIGHT.

So is there any heat problems?

Thats a lot of light under that hood.

Well, it looks superb, will look wonderful when all the corals and critters go in.

Good luck with the tank.

Sorry guys but I still haven't had a reply to my question. Is 2x55 watt enough for a 29 gal. The tank is 36 inches long. Should the lights go from one end to the other? Also, has anyone else had trouble getting on to the hellolights site? I've been trying all day and can't connect. Thanks

My LFS has a 29gal. showtank with 2x55's and it's doing great. They have the lights in the center of the canopy. I've been on and off hellolights website all day. Even spoke with this one girl about getting some lights...

www.hellolights.com

Click it, should work.

Thanks for your reply! The site still isn't working for me. Do you know if they ship to Canada? Is there some where else I can order from? Thanks

Archived