inTank Media Baskets

Strange results after W/C...normal?

reeferx2

I only bought 2 containers of the Nutri-Sea, I've been using it as a mix with my R/O and salt. Once it runs out I'll only be using R/O and Reef Crystals exclusively, with the possibility of dosing between W/C's.

How do I test for TDS?? This is a new one for me.

I'll admit, the first and only place I've gotten R/O from so far seemed a bit shady to me..thought I was going to get Yakuza'd in their basement for sure. I've been dealing with an LFS in the city for the last week who's got an extremely high reputation, their establishment is the best I've seen in NYC for sure.

I'm making a trip their today where I plan on re-stocking my R/O. There's no shot in hell they'd have sub par water.

Dude. It takes 10 minutes to test your water. Just test it. Your CUC will not cause the spikes you are seeing unless they have died and are rotting. You need to start troubleshooting other problems. The very first thing you should have done is make sure the water you are using is pure. You can't just assume it is.

Also, you should use distilled water over R/O. You can get distilled water from your local supermarket/target/etc.... for $.99/gallon. No need to go/use anything else, unless you set up an RO/DI system.

A TDS meter. They are fairly cheap. Some RO/DI units come with them inline. They need calibration, so spring for some calibration solution.

If you are serious about this hobby make your own salt water with your own produced RO/DI water. It will be cheaper in the long run and you don't have to worry about getting Yakuza'd! :ninja: I would bet money your "RO" water is crap. Even the best stores with the best reputation can let some things slip by. LFS go through employees like crazy and you never know when you are getting a trainee.

http://spectrapure.com/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System $124.99

IMO, an RO/DI unit is the first thing anyone getting into reefing should get. Before a tank, stand, lights, etc etc.

Buzz

Already on my christmas list, hope my old lady picks it up for me..she already hates the tank hahaha.

Dude. It takes 10 minutes to test your water. Just test it. Your CUC will not cause the spikes you are seeing unless they have died and are rotting. You need to start troubleshooting other problems. The very first thing you should have done is make sure the water you are using is pure. You can't just assume it is.

Also, you should use distilled water over R/O. You can get distilled water from your local supermarket/target/etc.... for $.99/gallon. No need to go/use anything else, unless you set up an RO/DI system.

Definitely dude. Going to test this new batch of water the second I get it home. And for shits and gigs, I'll test my current R/O and report back.

Deleted User 8

Perhaps not calling her your "old lady" might help...

This disussion happens quite a bit around here. I could go on and on why it is a good idea to be a master of your own water, but it gets repetative. Just do it!

Buzz

Nice - good luck!

the results are in: cju84....you are not the father!!

24qtxf9.jpg

Perhaps not calling her your "old lady" might help...

This disussion happens quite a bit around here. I could go on and on why it is a good idea to be a master of your own water, but it gets repetative. Just do it!

Buzz

haha, we're a pair of Queens, NY raised kids from off the boat Sicilian families. "My old lady" is common reference to girlfriends and wives around here, might even be considered endearing to some!

No worries on repetition here, definitely looking to become the water master around these parts. Hell, I might even open an RO stand outside my house!

Good to see! I didn't think it would be the case, but needed to rule it out just to be sure!

"Old Lady" is also common with biker gangs (source: Sons of Anarchy fan).

Good to see! I didn't think it would be the case, but needed to rule it out just to be sure!

"Old Lady" is also common with biker gangs (source: Sons of Anarchy fan).

Pretty damn sure I'm going to pour whatever water I have left down the drain, both the nutri-sea and what's left of Yakuza RO, so that I can use these big ass jugs to re-stock fresh RO. My Reef Crystals arrive tomorrow, would like a fresh start with them.

Nutri-sea is fine for new tank setup. Speeds up the cycle but costly in long run and totally unnecessary.

yea especially considering it needs to be diluted and has a crummy calcium level. another nyc'er! who's your LFS?

Almost exclusively Manhattan Aquariums

Went for the first time last week, and now I wouldn't be caught dead buying from anywhere else in the 5 boroughs Do you use their RO? Safe haha??

Archived