• Created
  • Last Reply

This is an example of something I'd like to achieve (- the clam):

7FAD9781-4A6D-4D4C-99D1-BBC323C52226_zps

A nice big striking coral in the centre - GSP, Monti

A flowing and colourful coral on either side/one side - Hammer, Xenia, Torch

Some kind of space-fillers towards the bottom - Zoa's, Acan, Mushrooms

Something on the substrate/very low down (if there's space) - Plate, Leather

I'm very drawn to Green Stars and a Monti...

But both of these need decent lighting, right? And I don't have all that much space to play with to stick these.

You shouldn't have any problems with gsp or other corals from your wish list. Provide moderate flow..... gsp and other corals benefit from it. Especially leather corals as they shed skin quite often and need stronger flow to accomplish that.

zoas, mushrooms or ricordeas do better in lower flow areas in general.

Small question about fragging...

This super glue that people use to glue to plugs..

Is it just normal super glue that I can get from the pound shop? Or some super special glue made specifically for corals?

So last night I removed a bunch of sand from the sand, the bed was about 2" deep all around and it just didn't look right to me.

I removed quite a bit from the front and sides and it's now more like 1" around the outsides.

Oh and I just threw the removed sand into my African tank ;-P

As others have stated, a lot of the traditional recommendations for beginner coral can become weeds in short order.

+1, and exactly why I don't recommend alot of those traditional starter pieces to newbs. Especially stuff like GSP, kenya tree and xenia... most LFS will only take so much of it back on credit (if any) as well, same for local reefers so make sure it is something you REALLY want and won't mind if it takes control of your entire 10g lol

The best thing to do starting out is ALOT of research and be very patient..... and start with corals you really like and learn what it takes to keep them.

You will be alot happier with a tank full of nice zoas for example then a tank full of xenia if you like zoas over xenia.... and the zoas will give you more trading power then xenia... and more color ;)

+1, and exactly why I don't recommend alot of those traditional starter pieces to newbs. Especially stuff like GSP, kenya tree and xenia... most LFS will only take so much of it back on credit (if any) as well, same for local reefers so make sure it is something you REALLY want and won't mind if it takes control of your entire 10g lol

The best thing to do starting out is ALOT of research and be very patient..... and start with corals you really like and learn what it takes to keep them.

You will be alot happier with a tank full of nice zoas for example then a tank full of xenia if you like zoas over xenia.... and the zoas will give you more trading power then xenia... and more color ;)

First thing, the LFS has neither GSP or Xenia, both of which I quite like, if I could convince them to stock it I could supply them on a minuscule scale.

I understand that they may spread rapidly but that's kinda what I want, I'll try to stick to just one of these 'weedy' corals.

Second thing, I've been doing about a years worth of research in preparation for this, I read up a lot before I attempt anything. As a result, not many things have gone wrong for me in the fish-keeping sense.

Third thing, once again, the LFS doesn't stock many good looking corals, including Zoa's. I'm a big fan of those crazy coloured ones but not these dull brown ones that I've seen.

I've actually discovered that one of my cousins runs a great lil fish shop not too far away from me, I'll make a trip over there to check what he has.

I guess having a stupidly huge family pays off sometimes..

First thing, the LFS has neither GSP or Xenia, both of which I quite like, if I could convince them to stock it I could supply them on a minuscule scale.

I understand that they may spread rapidly but that's kinda what I want, I'll try to stick to just one of these 'weedy' corals.

Second thing, I've been doing about a years worth of research in preparation for this, I read up a lot before I attempt anything. As a result, not many things have gone wrong for me in the fish-keeping sense.

Third thing, once again, the LFS doesn't stock many good looking corals, including Zoa's. I'm a big fan of those crazy coloured ones but not these dull brown ones that I've seen.

I've actually discovered that one of my cousins runs a great lil fish shop not too far away from me, I'll make a trip over there to check what he has.

I guess having a stupidly huge family pays off sometimes..

Don't be afraid to purchase coral online if your LFS is poorly stocked, it's honestly where I aquire most of my stock. Eating an overnight shipping charge might not sound appealing, but you can often get more if you include that price than taking the money and spending it at the store.

Again, if you're mainly interested in a weedy coral or two, just make sure you have the supplies and the nerve to frag it. It's sound advice, in essence you're future proofing your tank by acknowledging you might not want one type of coral spread throughout the tank later on when you might like to try something else.

Now that it has been said ad nauseam, if you want more than one "weed" I say go for it if it suits your current vision. It's as easy as isolation and fragging, with the exclusion of anthelia...don't buy Anthelia, just trust me.

Don't be afraid to purchase coral online if your LFS is poorly stocked, it's honestly where I aquire most of my stock. Eating an overnight shipping charge might not sound appealing, but you can often get more if you include that price than taking the money and spending it at the store. Again, if you're mainly interested in a weedy coral or two, just make sure you have the supplies and the nerve to frag it. It's sound advice, in essence you're future proofing your tank by acknowledging you might not want one type of coral spread throughout the tank later on when you might like to try something else. Now that it has been said ad nauseam, if you want more than one "weed" I say go for it if it suits your current vision. It's as easy as isolation and fragging, with the exclusion of anthelia...don't buy Anthelia, just trust me.

Then I guess I'll have to choose between Xenia and GSP...

I'll ask around and see what people like more.

Then I guess I'll have to choose between Xenia and GSP...

I'll ask around and see what people like more.

You can do both, you could do a ton of fast growing invasive weeds together, I'm just saying make sure you really really want em. And don't count on the LFS lining up to take it off your hands even if they don't already have it.

You can do both, you could do a ton of fast growing invasive weeds together, I'm just saying make sure you really really want em. And don't count on the LFS lining up to take it off your hands even if they don't already have it.

BD265FFC-59A3-4A68-B65B-A9F4D0A6519A_zps

This tank has two types of Green Star Polyps, there's that one on top which is a sharper green and the one on the sand which is curling and branching.

Any idea what the branching one is called? I love the way it looks.

Just a warning.... Like I said all my "harder/more delicate" corals grow like crazy (SPS, LPS), while my soft don't grow much. Some of them have, some haven't I wanted my GSP to cover one of my rocks and in the span of 8 months since I got it it's maybe grown 15% in diameter. And that's being generous. Most likely my water is too clean for a lot of soft corals to grow like weeds.

I started out just liking LPS. Then I liked Zoas and palys... Then I started to see how pretty sticks are. So now I'm SPS dominant, primarily birdsnest. I'm trying to collect all different kinds of birdsnest and some stylos and maybe a few acros.

I felt the same when I started, I thought sticks were dumb. Now I like them. :)

Just a warning.... Like I said all my "harder/more delicate" corals grow like crazy (SPS, LPS), while my soft don't grow much. Some of them have, some haven't I wanted my GSP to cover one of my rocks and in the span of 8 months since I got it it's maybe grown 15% in diameter. And that's being generous. Most likely my water is too clean for a lot of soft corals to grow like weeds.

I started out just liking LPS. Then I liked Zoas and palys... Then I started to see how pretty sticks are. So now I'm SPS dominant, primarily birdsnest. I'm trying to collect all different kinds of birdsnest and some stylos and maybe a few acros.

I felt the same when I started, I thought sticks were dumb. Now I like them. :)

I understand WHY you like the sticks, the colours on them are just in a league of their own.

But for now, in a 10G it's just not gonna happen for me.

I do reallllllly like Monti Cap's though...

I do reallllllly like Monti Cap's though...

And so it begins.....

sticks are hard.

If you don't give them the proper care, sure. If you don't have the proper tools and knowledge, sure.

If you keep your water clean, do regular water changes, and practice overall good husbandry with the proper equipment, naw.

sticks are hard.

please excuse both pun and innuendo.

thanks. :)

Well Cindy; that is the second time you have made burst out loud in laughter!

I am a newbie and for what it is worth I think my Hammers have been the easiest coral to care for.

Palys, Zoas and Acans seem to be easy as well.

David

Archived