Pod Your Reef

Steve's Long Overdue 48g

specore

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mmmm.. good looking tank with an attractive scape! like the kessils too, I love the look and shimmer..

Thanks. Hopefully it will only get better.

Beautiful tank, man!

Let me know how the rw4 is. Ive been debating ordering one or two for my 36.

And holy tds! What lfs were you buying RO from?

Feeders Supply...nice huh?

Man, that is insane. Hoping Sandy's and aquatica don't have similar numbers lol

Got some from Sandy's last month and measured TDS at 3 ppm. I'm sure Aquatica is fine too, think he has an inline meter on his unit that you can see yourself.

Added a RW-4 and adapter to run the Jabeo's from my Apex last night. Definitely pushes more water than the WP-10 and still has a pretty small footprint. For a 36" tank it may still be a bit under powered but I am not sure I want to go to anything bigger aesthetically.

Looks nice. I really like your setup. Have you moved any corals over besides the maxi-minis?

I bought a reconditioned spectrapure RO/DI unit a couple years ago for something like $129. In hindsight, it's the best purchase I ever made. If I ever had to downsize and sell off equipment, I'd sell of my Apex, skimmer, and ATO before I give up the RO/DI unit. Everything starts with pure water, and being able to know exactly what you're getting, and being able to get more of it any time you need it for a quick water change is incredibly valuable.

Back to the TDS for a sec.

That meter is not temperature correcting, you may want to upgrade to a TDS-3 by the same company. In cold water, especially this time of year, a non-correcting meter will read lower than actual TDS.

Get yourself a Spectrapure RO/DI unit, refurbished for $200 or less. Has a hose attachment that hooks up to a utility room tub, if you have one. Best investment. :)

Added a RW-4 and adapter to run the Jabeo's from my Apex last night. Definitely pushes more water than the WP-10 and still has a pretty small footprint. For a 36" tank it may still be a bit under powered but I am not sure I want to go to anything bigger aesthetically.

Thanks for letting me know about the adaptor.

Looks nice. I really like your setup. Have you moved any corals over besides the maxi-minis?

I bought a reconditioned spectrapure RO/DI unit a couple years ago for something like $129. In hindsight, it's the best purchase I ever made. If I ever had to downsize and sell off equipment, I'd sell of my Apex, skimmer, and ATO before I give up the RO/DI unit. Everything starts with pure water, and being able to know exactly what you're getting, and being able to get more of it any time you need it for a quick water change is incredibly valuable.

I moved 4 heads of frogspawn from the old tank. Had over 15 heads but most were either dead or dying after months of neglect in my basement so saved the four that still looked decent.

And I don't know if I could ever let go of my Apex, freaking love that thing.

That meter is not temperature correcting, you may want to upgrade to a TDS-3 by the same company. In cold water, especially this time of year, a non-correcting meter will read lower than actual TDS.

Get yourself a Spectrapure RO/DI unit, refurbished for $200 or less. Has a hose attachment that hooks up to a utility room tub, if you have one. Best investment. :)

Thanks for the heads up. Is there a way to manually correct for temperature? And a better RO/DI will be down the road a little bit, pretty much blown through my initial budget for now.

BTW, are there any good LFS's up your way?

Thanks for letting me know about the adaptor.

No problem,hope it helps with your fan issue. In my book anything that lets you play with programming via the Apex is more fun than a controller where you just push buttons and turn dials.

I moved 4 heads of frogspawn from the old tank. Had over 15 heads but most were either dead or dying after months of neglect in my basement so saved the four that still looked decent.

And I don't know if I could ever let go of my Apex, freaking love that thing.

Looking forward to more pictures :)

I love my Apex, and I love being able to program it. But that just shows how much I love having my own RODI unit :) :)

Thanks for the heads up. Is there a way to manually correct for temperature? And a better RO/DI will be down the road a little bit, pretty much blown through my initial budget for now.

No way to manually correct except to heat the water.

I don't think any stores really worth the drive up here. There's plenty of drama around Cincy as well. Two reef clubs, one of which is concentrating on sustainable reef care, has removed sponsorship from a vendor due to what appears to be controversy with a shark in a very large tank in Arizona. I don't know if every area has this much drama or not but the Cincinnati area needs a reboot for sure. It seems some of this BS has driven a lot of reefers away.

My best corals were either shipped or a lucky find from World of Pets which is run by a couple of nice guys but the tanks can't really sustain higher quality corals for very long. I try and visit on or the day after a shipment to pick up corals. Typically everything will be browned out and will take months to recover.

Their fish selection is good and they are usually quite healthy. I've purchased every fish I have in both tanks from this store.

In short, stay in Louisville and get corals shipped. :D

In short, stay in Louisville and get corals shipped. :D

That's disappointing. Luckily Aqautica Reef down here is bouncing back and KY Saltwater Supply in Lexington looks like it may be worth checking out as well.

Looks great man

Thanks

I like it! Very clean and the curve of the sand is nice.

Yeah, I agree. Just lucky that the pumps are aimed in the right directions.

Water at basement temp around 65 degrees reads 2 ppm, water heated to 78 reads 3 ppm. Although the cold water reads about 50% higher, I doubt at such low levels there is a need to invest in another meter. Would you disagree?

Water at basement temp around 65 degrees reads 2 ppm, water heated to 78 reads 3 ppm. Although the cold water reads about 50% higher, I doubt at such low levels there is a need to invest in another meter. Would you disagree?

Nope, as long as you heat the water. :)

Following. Love the aquascape.

Thanks. It is somewhat challenging to work around the overflow in these tanks, as I'm sure you'll figure out.

I need lots of hiding spots also for the types of animals I will have. Aquascaping day should be full of all kinds of indecision :).

Archived