inTank Media Baskets

Apex Controller for Nanobox

blazerino

Has anyone controlled their nanobox using the Apex VDM module 0-10V signal?

I believe this could be done by either requesting drivers that accept the 0-10V signal or using an analog to digital converter (Steve's LED sells one) with the standard nanobox drivers.

Any advantage to PWM vs 0-10V for lighting controls?

jedimasterben

Other than using your controller you already have for basic dimming, there is no benefit.

If you used, say, AC-DC 0-10v drivers instead of using LDD drivers, they only dim to ~10% and then need to be powered down via a relay or timer. With LDD, when it gets to 0%, they cut the output.

O2Surplus from rc makes an Apex module for LDD's. Since the nanobox uses coralux LDD boards all you do is put it between the LDD board and the Apex.

I am considering this as well. Does the storm offer anything more then the Apex can do with the board? I like to have all of my controls in one place (my phone).

jedimasterben

I am considering this as well. Does the storm offer anything more then the Apex can do with the board? I like to have all of my controls in one place (my phone).

The Storm is much more feature rich than the Apex is, which basically only handles a set dimming time and 100 step resolution.

The Storm is much more feature rich than the Apex is, which basically only handles a set dimming time and 100 step resolution.

Unless you consider that you can control the apex from anywhere in the world.

jedimasterben

Unless you consider that you can control the apex from anywhere in the world.

If we're talking about controlling lighting, there really isn't much of a comparison. The Apex is a reef monitor that can do very basic lighting control, the Storm is a dedicated system.

If we're talking about controlling lighting, there really isn't much of a comparison. The Apex is a reef monitor that can do very basic lighting control, the Storm is a dedicated system.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think the added benefit of controlling your lights via fusion is not something to forget though.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think the added benefit of controlling your lights via fusion is not something to forget though.

I never understood this or the need for a bluefish. Why do you need to wirelessly control your lights?

The only possible reason I can think of is if you're away on vacation and have a camera, and you start seeing some algae and want to cut the lights. But that can be done by just plugging the light powercord into the apex.

I never understood this or the need for a bluefish. Why do you need to wirelessly control your lights?

The only possible reason I can think of is if you're away on vacation and have a camera, and you start seeing some algae and want to cut the lights. But that can be done by just plugging the light powercord into the apex.

You never know what is going to happen when you are gone. What if it is really hot and I wanted to turn off the lights to lower heat? The reason you pointed out is also valid; I travel internationally to other time zones where it is not always possible for me to see my tank on my webcam with the lights on.

There are probably other things that I am not thinking of. It really is just the level of control that I would be looking for. No real reason, but it is nice to have for that one time where you actually do need it.

You never know what is going to happen when you are gone. What if it is really hot and I wanted to turn off the lights to lower heat? The reason you pointed out is also valid; I travel internationally to other time zones where it is not always possible for me to see my tank on my webcam with the lights on.

There are probably other things that I am not thinking of. It really is just the level of control that I would be looking for. No real reason, but it is nice to have for that one time where you actually do need it.

Your apex can do standard on/off. I don't see the need for having full dimming and everything.

Archived