SaltCritters.com

Reptile Glo Blub? Will It hurt anything?

Deleted User 8530

Deleted User 8530

I got a 2nd hand tank from My Aunt which i set Up Yesterday. It came with a Reptile Glo bulb Which if Im right puts out ALOT of UV light. My tank doesnt have a Glass peice (if I remember it takes out UV?) infront of the bulb. Will This Hurt any of the Inhabitants? The Live Rock?

AReeferIsExpensive

ive never owned a reptile but, arent those used for heating? Just dont use the light and go get a decent one for a reef tank~

• 2 weeks later...
TheLadyDragon

they are a normal output bulbs that put out a lor of UVB, which reptiles use to help them make vitimin D3 which helps them absorb calcium. it shouldnt hurt the critters, but is not strong enough to light a reef tank. reptiles bulbs start to go bad after 6 months so if is older then that just toss it.

ashley

Deleted User 8530

Cool. I know this Is An old thread so Thanks for the reply! I just didnt want my LR to die off whiel I was Getting some new lights. THANKS AGAIN :)

It doesn't actually put out a lot of UV, but a small amount of UV-B (normal sun spectrum). Word from the guys who sell them (take with a grain of salt...) is that the UV output more or less collapses after about 10 months and it's just a normal fluoro tube.

Deleted User 8530

Cool! :) Well thats Awsome how they just transform into a norm bulb :) Well Another thing, Will that bulb hold my LR over til the new lights come in (have Direct Natural Sunlight in the morning too)?

Archived