ReefCleaners.org

my clam

chinchiu

I was wondering the same thing... I have seen many like that at the LFS, but I don't know anything about clams (except I can't have one). Since we are on the subject, what do you look for in a clam to ensure it is healthy and of good quality???

That hole is it's mouth-

It is large but if it was just introduced then it will probably get smaller over the next several days.

Is that a Crocea? They need lots of light from what I have read.

just keep it well lit and fed...i have one in my 50 gallon and it's mouth is not that large...i have recently upgraded to a 175 20k halide and 2x96w powerquads and it is fine. even before that lighting upgrade, i had it under the 2 powerquads and 1 55w sunday 03 actinic and it was great, but it gets a few hours of direct sunlight in the mornings...i feed it liquid life coral plankton directly (with a turkey baster) every couple of days...you have to start worrying when you can see completely through your clam (through the mouth and out the backside) if you can see sand or whatever is behind it...it is not doing well...

MessyRoadKil,

I am not sure about the species too, it is about 3 inches big and i pay $200 HKD for it........that means about 25 bucks in US.......

Mosquared, revance, zzpw3x and ifynanceu

Thanks for your concern ^.^........I also worried about it when i first bought it as ppl in HK said that if the clam show it;s mouth, that means it;s not in it's best condition.........but after about 1 month time, i think it's doing well in my tank.......about from the

2 x 36W PL light, it also got some supplementary sunlight from my window..... :happy:

I would be concerned that 72W isn't enough of light. I have not raised any clams yet, but from what I have read, croceas are the most demanding for light, and the genreal concensus is that MH is required. I am sure some will disagree, but not most.

Dale

mh is not required, but really helps preserve the awesome colors of a clam...they will be more metallic like than with fluorescent lights...but i have had mine under pc's and it does really well, but it does see a few hours of natural sunlight too!!! and as chinciu noted above, there is natural sunlight supplementation...should be safe...

myfisharemean

Lol, I'm gonna get the 30 buck double PC from fosters&smith, so 72 watts! Tell me how it goes, I might want a clam, but I'll just pick up anothe double fixture from F&S cause they're on sale, yay! Great colors, I hope to have on of those, I thought it said 200 bucks, then saw HK, lol, I can't say how pretty it is, and the comp. monitors really make it shine, i feel like I'm looking at it,it's really an amazing clam!Good Work! -Matt

myfisharemean,

I will tell you the result next month ....^.^ I hope that the colour of the clam will not fade off.........Indeed, since it's introduction to my tank, it's colour didn't show any fading, but one important point is sunlight supplementation........the sunlight is so strong that even it's is not a direct sunlight, it already provides a lot of help~~

myfisharemean,

Since the sunlight is not a direct sunlight, so there is no algae bloom problem........^.^

MessyRoadKil,

Yup, it's a great deal......as every HK people would say "Hong Kong is the heaven for shopping!!!".......but i also jealous the lifestyle and quality of life in US, Canada and Europe......HK is too rush for human to live..Ha Ha

• 4 weeks later...
myfisharemean

Ya, It's really hard to light/filter my tank :(, but hex's give a whole different perspective, you have 3 fronts and angles to see stuff, so it's cool, but my tank is 12" wide, and each side is 7.5" long, so there isn't much room, lol, but I'm only gonna have an AC300, trimmed to fit, and I'm still debating over another fixture, or MH, or a satellite, or whatever, but it really looks sweet, keep us posted, and how did you get 3 36w bulbs on top, lol :) -Matt

Archived