Coral Vue Hydros

IM Nuvo Fusion 20g equipment?

Based

Hello Nano-Reefers,

I just purchased a Fusion 20g and I would like to add some equipment to this by the end of December and want to know what all of the options are for this tank. I already know that I am going to buy inTank media baskets once the cycle is over. The stocks ones feel very cheap and don't look like they're going to really filter out anything as most of the water goes over it and behind it missing the sponges. I might get a VorTech MP10, not sure if it would be overkill on a fully dominated Z & P tank. Now what options do i have for skimmers? Is the IM skimmer any good? How about upgrading the stock pump? Can i change out the pump with a bigger or one? Or could i add a second pump back there?

Thanks, Matt

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, and opinion,

1. Always go with InTank, Stevie's stuff is primo

2. I think an MP10 would be just right, and full adjustable, so you can get any amount of flow you want. A RW8 might be a good choice too, people love them, but I haven't owned one. Seen a few and was underwhelmed, but they are excellent powerheads, much cheaper too!

3. Th Ghost skimmer I had was great, A little loud, but it is bearable. I am sure at this point someone has some upgrades to quiet it down.

4. Try looking at Sicce Silent one pumps. Figure out the stock GPH on the return pump and check MarineDepot, I would guess a Sicce 1.0 or 1.5 would give you MORE than enough return... I believe stock pump is 211gph, a 1.0 Sicce is slightly more powerful. With a MP10, you wouldn't need a different pump though.

You may want to consider the following as well,

-Auto Top off

-Controller

IMHO, I couldn't live without my controller and ATO, good luck!!

Just to avoid future anquish I would stay away from the ghost skimmer. More people have complained about them than those that have been happy with them. If you want a reliable and quiet skimmer go with the Cadlights PLS 50 Elite. I have it in my Fusion 20 and it simply just works and at a very reasonable noise level. I had the Ghost Skimmer so I'm very comfortable making that comparison. I also run Chaeto with an Aqualighter 6500k light that I mounted to the back of the tank.

I will second ATO and MP 10 or its chines clone. And extra flow won't be necessary if you use any of those wavemakers ...... just like Steensj said. The only reason I use 2 smaller return pumps is for precautionary reasons. In case one fails, second pump will still move enough water to keep filtration system alive. Skimmers for nano setup are limited and good ones are hard to come by. Perhaps, good HOB skimmer would work but I am not sure if you would want to go in that direction. There are many great toys out there but water movement and light should be top notch imo.

i also have a fusion 20 gal and i run a MP 10 and have 2 eheim 600 pumps for my return. i also have the inTank media baskets and they work well. this seems to provide plenty of flow for the tank. my MP 10 is only on about 35% reef crest mode. i am waiting to get a power supply for my nanobox duo to up grade my lighting.

Archived