SaltCritters.com

aquarium controller?

Wjcastiglione

As a lighting only controller, sure. The Bluefish controller was designed primarily as a lighting controller with features to match (really it's only software), but the Apex does a whole lot more as a full system controller. It's not a fair comparison IMO.

Agreed!

well jedimasterben says otherwise , I was all set to get the APEX then everyone ripped it so I went with the bluefish. Now everyone is saying the Apex does more. I wish the internet would make up its mind.

well jedimasterben says otherwise , I was all set to get the APEX then everyone ripped it so I went with the bluefish. Now everyone is saying the Apex does more. I wish the internet would make up its mind.

How do you like your bluefish? What do u feel are the pros and cons?

Bluefish has been touting a bunch of features to be added for a long time now but still not here. As of right now think of bluefish as a fancy typhoon or coralux storm with wireless control.

Apex and Archon are way beyond what a bluefish can do.

I checked out the Archon at RAP last weekend and it's pretty nice. I also like that it comes with 10V and PWM control built-in unlike the Apex which requires a separate box.

Again, the Bluefish is a lighting controller, but Spencer has eluded to the fact that he wants to expand it to more than that. At the moment though, all it does is lighting, and it's very good at it. I have one, and like it very much.

But you can't really compare the Bluefish to the Apex. They are both controllers, sure, with some overlapping features, but both are intended for different overall purposes. Could the Apex do what the Bluefish controller does with simulated location timing? Sure, with a little programming from Neptune. The hardware on both controllers is just sending a pwm or 0-10v signal to the drivers. It's the software that shapes that signal into the necessary output based on the information that's given to it (like sunrise and sunset times for Fiji etc...).

So while the Apex can only do rudimentary on/off/fade for multiple channels, it can also monitor ph, ORP, dissovled oxygen, salinity, leak detection, water level, etc... as well as control dosing pumps, Vortech and Jebao powerheads, AI and Radion LED fixtures, ATO pumps, and anything else connected to the power bars. All of these features can't currently be controlled by the Bluefish.

I don't think Jedi steered you wrong. I just think he pointed you in a direction that better suited your needs at the time.

And I found what he told you:

"The Apex can do very little that any other dedicated LED controller can, especially the Bluefish."

(*Emphasis mine)
If you need just a lighting controller, then you can do a lot better than just an Apex. If you want a full system controller and can live without a few lighting features, then the Apex is one of the best choices out there.

I usually hit the main page to see if any vendors have posted anything of interest. Otherwise, that forum is pretty dead now.

Wjcastiglione

I usually hit the main page to see if any vendors have posted anything of interest. Otherwise, that forum is pretty dead now.

Agreed. That and the frag swaps seem to be pretty popular.

I just ordered it yesterday haha Dave is also making me a sweet LED kit for my cube . I needed to start somewhere so I went BF as they show ph probes and other stuff on their site already . This is the last time I let the internet make up my mind for me.

Easy killer. We never said that the Bluefish was a bad choice. Yes, there are plans to expand it beyond the light controls, but they aren't there yet. Based on the conversation you had with Jedi, he pointed you in the right direction. It really is one of the best controllers for LEDs on the market. But if your needs were more towards a full system controller, then I'm positive that Jedi would have pointed you in a different direction.

reefernanoman

How many people actually run these?

I like the idea that some are WIFI controlled and I can control them wherever. However, I can't imagine that every single thing I have in my tank can be controlled from one controller thats a completely different brand than everything else.

Am I right?

I just got my Apex Jr for my 28G NC and you would be amazed at how many things you can control! The possibilities are almost endless! Apex fusion is awesome too! Not to mention all the clunky timers that I got rid of!
Wjcastiglione

I just got my Apex Jr for my 28G NC and you would be amazed at how many things you can control! The possibilities are almost endless! Apex fusion is awesome too! Not to mention all the clunky timers that I got rid of!

I see that apex seems to be the more flexible option - but I really like the bluefish user interface. I think I may wait until they have that fixed up before I make the move to this controller.

reefernanoman

How does it control all these things?

Does it come with 15 different probes and sensors, or do you buy them separately? And whats the cost?

Like ballpark, if I was looking to set up a controller and all these probes for all of these things, what am I looking at? Its $500 for the controller, but then do I need 25 adapters and probes at $45 each?

I really would like to read a controller guide for dummies. Ive been curious about this for awhile, but haven't found a real simple explanation.

Yeah, but think about how much money and heartache it could help save you if lets say your heater gets stuck. It would shut it off automatically before it fries your tank and animals and that is priceless. That is just one of many many scenarios!

reefernanoman

Its not my thread, but you've all been really helpful at clearing up my confusion over controllers, so I'm just saying thanks guys.

A controller is pretty much a microprocessor that monitors your tank and can automate many things for you. And you can control it remotely(i.e Apex Fusion), keep an eye on your tank temperature, feed your fish, top off your tank, etc. etc. etc.

So the RKL is $239 right now which comes with 8 outlets, ph, and temp. This seems like a good price over the Apex which same thing costs $500 but has the nicer interface. I don't care to constantly control through my cell phone and I just wanted to control heater, lights, pumps. Can't really do better for this price right?

The Apex Jr is about the same price, and has a lot more capability (1 more module, far more module options), and a much better interface on both the head unit and the web interface (not included with the RKL). There is also the Reef Angel for a hair more.

The Apex Jr is about the same price, and has a lot more capability (1 more module, far more module options), and a much better interface on both the head unit and the web interface (not included with the RKL). There is also the Reef Angel for a hair more.

Apex Jr. has only 4 outlets and no pH for the same price as the RKL. 4 outlets are not enough and another 4 bar is $100 plus the PM1 with probe is another $100+. I am in regular Apex territory now for that kind of money.

You will not regret buying the regular Apex believe me. When I purchased mine I looked at both and decided the Apex seemed to allow me to advance my tank without purchasing another controller a year down the road. If I had purchased a reef keeper a year ago I would now be trying to sell it for the added functions the apex can provide. On top of that Apex is constantly coming out with new features like moon lighting, auto feeders, dosing pump, wave makers etc. They can also control Jeabo, Tunze, and vortech pumps. Either way any controller is better than no controller but give some thought to if you see yourself upgrading your tanks equipment/needs in the near future. I know many people who are happy with the reef keepers but for me the Apex made sense! Just things to consider! :)

Archived