Innovative Marine Aquariums

What grew out of YOUR live rock?

Royal Gramma

I have the usual assortment of tiny dusters, the odd polyp and, unfortunately, the ocaissional aiptaisa (I've learned to live with a couple of them). My most striking bit of growth, however, is a red and orange sponge-like covering all over one of my rocks. It came from nowhere and has spread like wildfire.

When I finally get my replacement MH bulb and the lighting on my tank is how it is supposed to be, I will be taking pictures of this beautiful addition (and the other lovelies that I have added).

Feather dusters abunch of orange/red sponges like crakeur had. So far one aiptasia which I killed the second I saw it. Alot of different types of baby snails. Little polyps which are probably dead now because I didn't have light for a while because I am afraid of hair algae.

printerdown01

Feather dusters, several types of sea sponges (my favorite is a bright pink that continues to grow and grow), a sea squirt, some sort of filter feeding clam that is doing well, some great macroalgae spp, and a great biologically diverse pod population... :)

all of the above plus some porites (tough colony, considering it was on uncured LR). i also had a couple of mollusks like printerdown1's but they were more like boring clams, unfortunately they didn't make it thru a stage of questionable source water.

all of the above also, with lots of baby brittle stars, small anemone like thigns, i have 6 of them on one rock, No, its not Aipt. even though i have some in my tank also..i have one that is about 4" in diameter..hahaha.. the ones that i have on my LR are clear tenticles with bright white circular tips with red/green body...its really neat looking but still could not ID it..i will try to take pictures of it tonight. i also have local mussels, and baby clams that is attached onto my LR...

printerdown01

Ooooh ooooh, thanks for the reminder tinyreef!!! I too had porites (2 colonies) one severly damaged durring shipping I guess, both of them survived the cycle and made a full comeback! Judging by my and your luck with them, I don't think that they are as hard to keep as people claim ;)!!! Oh yeah, and I got aptasia, damn those things, I still have yet to entirely rid my tank of them!!

hey where did you all get your rock from? i got about 6 lbs from tampasaltwater and it was full of life, included were some snails, nasarius i think, a brittle star, a decorator crab (small one) a milky white with pink tinged sponge (i think) a small hermit, and stuff is still growing everyday....

harbingerofthefish

Well my rock has only been in my tank for a couple of weeks now. Two of the three bristle worms that came crawling out are dead, but one is MIA. All I know for sure what it is is a duster (well some thing like it if it isn't) good thing is I noticed some growth on it's tube today. I have what looks like porties (or velvet) on one rock (still dime size though so ???) And possibly some Lavender coral (still hard to tell) Hopefully there is a brain on the front side of one rock.

I'm still in the well...my tanks been up for a short time but the levels are back to normal so I don't know if it's ready or not...stage.

mine had tons of feather dusters, lots of aiptasia, some yellow worms, tiny termite-like bugs, and a bunch of preety grape algae that is growing very nicely, even though I got low light and the tank is cycling. I also have some red polyps and other weird things that I can't ID.

Just noticed something odd today. It looks like small tube of glued-together rock. Then 2 long, clear tentacles snake out of it, and pull a small piece of rock into the tube. What the heck was that?

aiptapsia, sponge, green/purple/red coralline, different types of worms/feather dusters, either a mantis or pistol that i havent ID'd yet..oh yeah and a isopod that i caught and obliterated

maroon and purplish coralline, more aiptasia than I care to think about, at least two different types of fanworms (white fan and pretty maroon fan), one single polyp that hasn't grown much yet, lots of baby snails, a possible keyhole limpet that I took out yesterday, a chunk of something that's bright white and a little bit hard (sponge?), valonia, a little area of watermelon-pink sponge that I just saw yesterday, assorted spaghetti-type worms, more bristleworms than I can shake a stick at...one of them is at least six or eight inches long and 1/4" wide....

and a bright watermelon-pink tunicate...

Royal Gramma

I think I saw a small brittle star in my LR. It was round and had 5 long wavy legs. Do I need to feed it??? I am already putting bloodworms in there for my pair of clowns, will that be enough? Hmmmm.

Carrie

bristleworms kick ass. i had some tiny baby ones i put in several months ago and now i see them roaming the tank from time to time about 10x bigger. :) if u have problems with an overpopulation, get a coralbanded shrimp!

btw- i had several sources of live rock, but my best piece came from the lfs and has tons of stuff on it... several varieties of hard corals (not sure what species), lots of encrusting sponges (some of which thrive while others just wither away), tons of coralline, interesting clam-like creatures with flowery-feather-looking things around their rims... tube worms out the ass, crabs (which i removed), brittle stars, several species of macroalgae, just an unbelievable variety of things from this 5 lb. chunk of rock!

Archived