Top Shelf Aquatics

How long do power compact bulbs last?

Mainframe562

Mainframe562

I have a CSL 32w bulb running for about 5 months now and want to know on the average how long the pc bulb will last so I can purchase one before hand. I know many people have this bulb, mostly people with nano cubes like myself.

That's still up for debate, but, We have some local reefers that have tested them. They found that most bulbs don't necessarily loose intensity after 6 months, they do take upto 5 times more power to keep them going... hard on ballasts I would imagine. But to answer your question, I'd look at replacing them around 6-8 months.

Walter

I second that.

I always had to change mine around the 6 month mark. Those 96w power quads, what a joke.

Thats the only thing I could fit in my corner tanks canopy and they shift around 5 months or so. $120 a year for two PQ's got a little old so I went with a 250w DE pendant.

I never tried the full 10k PQ only the 50/50 so maybe the 10k will last longer.

50/50 bulbs seem to shift faster than full color temp bulbs.

Well... PC is kind of funny thing.

I have 55w PC over my 20G freshwater tank. The bulb is like 3 years old and still working without noticable problem. Okay, its 2 years and 9 month old. This cheap "made in who knows where" PC bulb last quite long. :P

I think it gets yellower than before at about 6 months. People say that a color spectrum change or something like that tho, I wouldn't really care since the light is on fresh water tank and I don't really care about alage in that tank. My fish hate me for not being generous with TetraMin. :P But, I am sure I would concern that spectrum change if the tank were salt water tank with corals.

Archived