Coral Vue Hydros

what is this critter?

chufa

I was told this could be aptasia. A bunch of these came in my new LR. I am cycling the tank now, it's brand new. I plan to start as FOWLR, so should I be concerned?

I did a search on this site (thanks Dave). If it is aptasia or some other pest, how and where can I get kalkwaser?

BustytheSnowMaam

It probably is aiptasia, and my two cents would be to leave it alone. If your tank isn't overfed, it hopefully won't reproduce. I tried to kill the lone aiptasia in my tank and ended up with a dozen of them (any part of the aiptasia that remains will reproduce and make more). If you're just going to have a FOWLR tank, then I wouldn't worry about it, it won't harm anything. Or, you could add a peppermint shrimp- it will eat the aiptasia. If you're not going to have corals you don't have to worry about the shrimp eating them as well as the aiptasia.

Tasha

Yup, its the dreaded aiptasia. For fish only tank it should be a problem, but they will take over the rocks and if you ever wanted to turn it into a reef setup, it would be very hard to get rid of them.

its aiptasia! and did sahin say this is a fish only tank? FOWLR? if so..don't worry abotu it as some of the fish will take care of them for you..they are good little treats for triggers and butterflies..hehehe..i really don't find them a problem unless they rae increasing in population, i have one that is 4" in diameter across the crown..hahahaha...he is living among my Xenia colony and so far ..it does not sting my Xenias as they are still growing like weed and pulsing like no tomorrow..hahhaha

Archived