Coral Vue Hydros

Grow out tanks

soup_er_man

soup_er_man

Hi all,

wanted some opinions. I'm thinking about setting up some grow out tanks for multiple frags. Nothing fancy, no substrate, no live rock, just egg crate shelves with corals sitting on them with plenty of light and flow. Here is my main question...will this need to be cycled? There won't be any food waste because there will be no fish or inverts and I plan on doing frequent water changes. Okay....let's hear those opinions!!!!

Soup

I think you should still have at least a small amount of liverock. There WILL be nutrients in the water, and you WILL have algae and probably snails. That means you will need some sort of biological filtration. If you don't provide liverock, you might end up with nitrates that have nowhere to go. That's not good for growing coral.

I cycled my grow-out tank. I also use a skimmer on it as well as a refugium. If you use halides or alot of PC's you will get algae growth so the refugium controls that. And some softies and other corals will pollute the water so the skimmer helps. I keep a little LR and a 1-2" sand bed in my prop tank.

-Mike

I suggest adding a refugium as well. You'll need a source of plankton to feed the corals and a refugium is the best way.

soup_er_man

I' ve never used a refugium before. I've always supplemented with bio/phyto plankton. How hard is it to set up and what goes in it?

Soup

Very easy to setup. Just some sand, rock rubble and some macro algae in a small tank or HOB refugium that flows into the main tank. You can seed it with some pods from someone else to kick start it if you want. I always put in some snails that readily attempt to breed in my tank as when the eggs hatch, there is lots of free floating larvae in the water column.

EtOH_is_good

i also agree with having lr for biological filtration. the water needs to be just as clean as your main tank.

soup_er_man

Well after hearing the great ideas and opinions from everyone, here is my initial drawing of the setup I'd like to achieve. What do you think?

Soup

soup_er_man

It might be a factor but I'll top off daily and do weekly water changes. I've been to a couple of wholesalers and this is how they have their tanks set up (just on a much larger scale!)

Soup

Smokin-Reefer

soup, i think that looks great! long shallow tanks, especially for prop. are an awesome idea, and I plan to do something similar when time, money and space constraints are eleviated.

good luck and keep us posted on your progess!

Archived